News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Feeding the ravens or "feeding the ravens"?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

"Feeding" the ravens or feeding the "ravens"?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Larch

Today on headlines you never expected to read:

QuoteJames Blunt developed scurvy after adopting an all-meat diet to assert his masculinity

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 12:36:18 PM
Today on headlines you never expected to read:

QuoteJames Blunt developed scurvy after adopting an all-meat diet to assert his masculinity

Simpsons called it. At least I assume that they did.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Maybe he should have started by writing a song men wouldn't be embarrassed to listen to.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 20, 2020, 12:52:32 PM
Maybe he should have started by writing a song men wouldn't be embarrassed to listen to.

The guy is a combat veteran from the British Army and commanded his own tank in Kosovo, I don't think he should have any need to "assert his masculinity", whatever men think about his songs.

Eddie Teach

Ok... All I know is that one song and this embarrassing story.  :sleep: :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 20, 2020, 01:01:41 PM

Really? When the song came out his military background was almost always mentioned whenever he was being talked about.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 20, 2020, 12:52:32 PM

The guy is a combat veteran from the British Army and commanded his own tank in Kosovo, I don't think he should have any need to "assert his masculinity", whatever men think about his songs.
In fairness the story is apparently from when he was 19 doing a sociology degree and apparently wanting to annoy his female vegan classmates.

Needless to say.... :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2020, 10:12:50 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 10:10:37 AM
The solution seems fairly easy, feed them abundantly within the Tower.  :bowler:
So apparently - I've read articles about the ravens before - that's only half the issue. They are very curious birds who need a lot of stimulation hence the raven master bringing them toys. So I feel like part of it is they probably just want things/people to interact with as well as food.

But agreed we should just feed the ravens.....

Old Sarum has a similar population of Ravens within the Norman keep, thought they aren't 'hobbled'* like the Tower of London birds.

I guess they've been missing company during the lockdown, maybe I should go and visit them, as I've been meaning to for a while.

*iirc the Tower birds have their wings clipped, but I might be wrongly  remembering that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 20, 2020, 01:01:41 PM

Really? When the song came out his military background was almost always mentioned whenever he was being talked about.

Why would anyone have listened to him being interviewed? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I've just learned that Steve Bruce, football manager, has written a series of self - insert detective novels. And they are glorious. :lol:

https://thesetpieces.com/latest-posts/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Went & got the books for my daughter's 4th grade. Browsing thru her History book, there's an entire section on the 13 colonies up to 1745. Kind of amazing, really.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2020, 04:38:27 AM
I've just learned that Steve Bruce, football manager, has written a series of self - insert detective novels. And they are glorious. :lol:

https://thesetpieces.com/latest-posts/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

I'm thinking the books are far from glorious, but that's a glorious book review!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2020, 08:24:39 PM
Went & got the books for my daughter's 4th grade. Browsing thru her History book, there's an entire section on the 13 colonies up to 1745. Kind of amazing, really.

Anything on Nova Scotia? Newfoundland?
Que le grand cric me croque !