News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Paging Minsky, Malthus, CC, ....

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I guess I need to rethink my costume idea.  :(

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 11, 2020, 05:32:04 PM
Question: for those of you who have completed your wills - who did you choose as executors? Trust company, sibling, friends?

I ask because I'm considering a friend for the position - my brothers are both living in different countries, my wife's siblings are both worthless for this.

Trouble with a friend is friends can sometimes tend to fade away over the years, whereas family is "forever".  You may not need an executor for 20-30 years - what are the odds you will still be friends with your friend that far down the road?

But otherwise your logic seems sound.  Be sure to ask your friend before naming him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2020, 11:27:56 AM
Question: for those of you who have completed your wills - who did you choose as executors? Trust company, sibling, friends?

I ask because I'm considering a friend for the position - my brothers are both living in different countries, my wife's siblings are both worthless for this.

Trouble with a friend is friends can sometimes tend to fade away over the years, whereas family is "forever".  You may not need an executor for 20-30 years - what are the odds you will still be friends with your friend that far down the road?

But otherwise your logic seems sound.  Be sure to ask your friend before naming him.

If your family are living in different countries and your wife's family is incapable, choosing someone who is competent and currently a friend amounts to a basic IQ test.

dps

If you're looking at that long a time frame, family dies off.  My mom's will names one of her brothers as executor;  he died 2 years ago (her sister and other brothers have all been dead for 20 years or more), but she hasn't updated her will and probably won't. 

Her estate is probably going to be a mess to administer to start with.  We live in Indiana now, but almost all of her property is in North Carolina (most of which is now rented out);  and she still owns some equity in real estate in West Virginia.  And while she lives with us in Indiana, she's leaving everything to my brother in South Carolina.  And the property being in WV?  It's being sold, and while my brother will inherit the equity if it's not paid off by the time she dies, the sales contract provides that if she dies before it's paid off, the buyer makes the rest of the payments to me.

Malthus

We've been friends for a long time, at least thirty years, so there is that!  :D

Hell, we already have wills naming each other, though that was mainly as a joke - a tontine in which each leaves the other his skull, for a drinking cup, to be collected by the survivor.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

From the Globe and Mail - house in Toronto goes for 1M more than asking price.

QuoteA thin supply of listings is prompting house hunters in some neighbourhoods to jump into bidding melees with no holds barred, he says.

Six months ago, the same houses that are drawing dozens of bids today would have received one or two offers – or not found a buyer at all, he says.

Mr. Wagman is concerned about future sales in and around the house at 63 Constance St. that sold for $2.3-million, or more than $1-million above its asking price of $1.298-million.

Valmy

If Malthus sold his house he could buy his own island someplace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Nowhere near Vancouver or Toronto.

dps

Screw that;  he should buy us that aircraft carrier.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Malthus

Heh if I sold my house and moved somewhere cheap I could make out like a bandit, I suppose. As long as it sold for enough for me to live on without needing my job.  :lol:

:unsure:

But that possibility aside, the current absurd run-up of real estate prices isn't good, for anyone. It's driving young people out of my city. Many can't afford to rent, let alone buy anything.

Every year, like clockwork, articles come out about how we are in a bubble, unsustainable, prices will come tumbling down ... but this run up has gone on, with only minor setbacks, since before I bought back in 2005. Houses may simply never be affordable here again. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I think that is what is going to happen/has already happened.  If the population projections are anywhere near accurate single family houses will be a rare luxury. Most units going up will be multi unit purpose built rental/mid to long term lease.  We will be like London.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2020, 05:44:53 PM
I think that is what is going to happen/has already happened.  If the population projections are anywhere near accurate single family houses will be a rare luxury. Most units going up will be multi unit purpose built rental/mid to long term lease.  We will be like London.

Yes, Toronto (and Vancouver) have the same problem - increasing populations, but restrictive zoning that prevent a lot of land being developed as high-density living spaces.  So increased demand, but a capped supply, leads inevitably to increased prices.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.