News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Some of you are ex- or current military aren't you?

Do military bases normally handle things like handing out medicines to soldiers, outside of just treating whoever is in hospital? If yes, do they have trouble managing the administration of all this?

Asking for a friend.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2020, 11:53:13 AM

Do military bases normally handle things like handing out medicines to soldiers, outside of just treating whoever is in hospital? If yes, do they have trouble managing the administration of all this?

Asking for a friend.

Not sure what you are asking.  Do bases run drugstores that fill prescriptions written by military or naval doctors or TriCare facilities for dependents?  Yes, at least in the past they did.It's possible that TriCare has moved off-base since I was in, though, as bases have gotten smaller or been combined.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2020, 01:45:48 PM

Asking for a friend.

Not sure what you are asking.  Do bases run drugstores that fill prescriptions written by military or naval doctors or TriCare facilities for dependents?  Yes, at least in the past they did.It's possible that TriCare has moved off-base since I was in, though, as bases have gotten smaller or been combined.

Yes basically that's what I was wondering about, thank you.

dps

I'd be surprised to find out that there aren't still on-base pharmacies on major bases, but whether those are actually run and staffed by the military as opposed to being contracted out I don't know.  I do know that the US military has moved to contracting a lot of things out, and I'm sure that's true of the military in other countries as well, but it's almost certainly not universal.

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2020, 01:45:48 PM

Asking for a friend.

They still do...for now.  I'll make this both simple and complicated.  :P

- Most base hospitals (if the base is big enough to have a hospital, and not just a small clinic) have a pharmacy co-located that will get you your medication pretty soon after you are prescribed it. 
- It is worth noting that these facilities are open not only to the active duty and their dependents, but retirees as well (they save on a co-pay by using the base hospitals).
- Is there trouble in administering all of this?  Maybe?  I'm not on the inside, so I cannot really say.  But as a customer, it seems to run pretty smoothly.
- And finally, the "for now"...the DoD is slowly reforming how it does medical services in a way that appears to be planning to cut way back on on-base health services, so that their primary focus will be active duty personnel health readiness, and will shunt most of the current dependent/retiree use off to civilian providers that take TricCare.*

*TriCare is essentially the DoD's health insurance "company" that services military, dependents, and retirees.  Dependents can already use that to go off base entirely, but depending on location, on-base is easier, better, or cheaper.  But the general impression is that off-base/civilian health care is far better in terms of quality, and timely access to care (if a bit more expensive, due to co-pays and such).

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on February 11, 2020, 02:41:32 PM
I'd be surprised to find out that there aren't still on-base pharmacies on major bases, but whether those are actually run and staffed by the military as opposed to being contracted out I don't know.  I do know that the US military has moved to contracting a lot of things out, and I'm sure that's true of the military in other countries as well, but it's almost certainly not universal.

There is a lot of things contracted out...but in the medical area, not much that I have seen.  Mostly staffed by military medical personnel or civilian employees.  Support staff...such as janitorial, maybe.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 11, 2020, 02:47:55 PM

There is a lot of things contracted out...but in the medical area, not much that I have seen.  Mostly staffed by military medical personnel or civilian employees.  Support staff...such as janitorial, maybe.

"Civilian employees" in this context meaning civilians who are directly employed by the DoD, rather than being employed by contractors, correct?  I'd kind of forgotten that civilian employees of the DoD exist, so military personnel and contractors aren't the only options.

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on February 11, 2020, 02:53:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 11, 2020, 02:47:55 PM

"Civilian employees" in this context meaning civilians who are directly employed by the DoD, rather than being employed by contractors, correct?  I'd kind of forgotten that civilian employees of the DoD exist, so military personnel and contractors aren't the only options.

Yep.  There are a good number of nurses at base hospitals that are DoD civilian employees.

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on February 09, 2020, 07:08:44 PM
The left symbolizes the evils in the world and the right the good

Nice to see a work of art that agrees with my political views.  ;)

Malthus

Question: for those of you who have completed your wills - who did you choose as executors? Trust company, sibling, friends?

I ask because I'm considering a friend for the position - my brothers are both living in different countries, my wife's siblings are both worthless for this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

A well-trusted friend actually feels like a very good idea...much less susceptible to inter-family drama and guilt trips.

Grey Fox

I picked my fake-step brother. I'd pick a close friends if I were you, throw them a bone too in the will.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 11, 2020, 05:32:04 PM
Question: for those of you who have completed your wills - who did you choose as executors? Trust company, sibling, friends?

I ask because I'm considering a friend for the position - my brothers are both living in different countries, my wife's siblings are both worthless for this.

I picked a good friend who is a broker.  Then when my kids were adults I made them the executors.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj0forBorcE

Jessie Smollett indicted on six counts for faking his own racist attack.

Eddie Teach

Does anyone still watch that show?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?