Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2020, 01:00:52 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2020, 12:15:45 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2020, 11:33:15 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2020, 11:22:14 AM
Nobody wants to live underground.

People say the same thing about Mono-high rises.

People need sunlight to be healthy.

Presumably, it'd be a place to sleep/spend time at home.  Hopefully one would still get outside and not be a shut-in.  Otherwise, neither high-rise or negative-rise will matter.

Highrises in Vancouver are pretty much full window walls to let as much natural light in as possible.  A bit of a pain in summer actually.

Razgovory

There would be some practical problems.  Draining water and sewage would be a bitch as would circulating air.  When the machines that do that stuff break down it will be very uncomfortable for the residents till the machinery can be fixed.  God save you if you have a flood.  I don't know how safe it would be in an emergency situation.  I don't know enough about engineering to know if would be safer to be underground in an earth quake or fire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Well, if that doesn't work, we can just hang a super-skyscraper from an orbiting asteroid...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridaineparnell/2017/03/29/skyscraper_suspended_on_asteroid/

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on February 13, 2020, 11:25:45 AM
In many ways property ownership doesn't make sense these days. The days of a job for life and a stable existence in one town forever and ever are over. People do need to move around a lot more. In a way it could be seen that more people renting and more of a sharing economy model is desirable.
It's also, in the UK at least, the main way individual's build up savings/assets. It's not that way everywhere in the world but that is a big part of it here.

QuoteIsn't that just high rise turned sideways though? :P A LOT of space gets wasted upward.
Sure. But they are still the highest density properties in the UK - it may be because our style of high-rise tends to need lots of parking space, and planning departments want plenty of green space around them.

I think the answer's a bit of both 4-5 storey terraces. We even have a fairly recognisable vernacular style for it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2020, 06:45:18 PM
The Economist says all expensive cities should go high rise.

NYC and HK went high and now apartments are dirt cheap.

Or not.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2020, 11:40:31 AM
Our society is based on the assumption that everything will grow forever. When things stagnate, shrink, or even just grow slower that is generally regarded as a disaster.

Which is a little illogical.

Our society is based on the assumption that
1) physical and human capital can be augmented at a marginally faster rate then it depreciates.
2) Techniques, methods and technologies of production and distribution improve over time.

Both those assumptions are logical under certain not unreasonable conditions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 14, 2020, 11:43:19 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2020, 06:45:18 PM
The Economist says all expensive cities should go high rise.

NYC and HK went high and now apartments are dirt cheap.

Or not.
There is probably a paradoxical effect in play there.  Population density drives economic activity all on its own, if properly managed.  I recall reading a study that found that economic activity grows at faster than linear rate with population density.  The higher up you build, the higher the population density, which leads to higher per capita economic activity and thus higher real estate prices.  In NYC in particular there are also a myriad of byzantine laws and entrenched corruption screwing up the real estate market and making it less dynamic.

Savonarola

Finally, someone has come up with something better than Confederate generals reimagined as sad Japanese girls:

Is that Harriet Tubman on a bank debit card, throwing a Wakanda salute?

This is so wonderfully kitschy.  If I were Visa I'd partner with Disney and get a whole series of these, Frederick Douglass, William Tecumseh Sherman, Abraham Lincoln and Harriet Beecher Stowe could all do the Wakanda forever salute.  You could put them on t-shirts, mugs, posters, they'd be bigger than Che Guevara. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on February 15, 2020, 06:56:28 PM
Finally, someone has come up with something better than Confederate generals reimagined as sad Japanese girls:

Is that Harriet Tubman on a bank debit card, throwing a Wakanda salute?

This is so wonderfully kitschy.  If I were Visa I'd partner with Disney and get a whole series of these, Frederick Douglass, William Tecumseh Sherman, Abraham Lincoln and Harriet Beecher Stowe could all do the Wakanda forever salute.  You could put them on t-shirts, mugs, posters, they'd be bigger than Che Guevara.

Visa is just a clearing house.  They don't actually issue any credit cards.  Banks do that, and put the Visa name on the card to indicate which clearing house they use.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Austrian reddit is a abuzz with Justin Bieber's new look, as he looks like Austrian children's TV star Thomas Brezina (he's kinda the Austrian Mr Rogers).

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Meanwhile at the right wing "memorial" of the Dresden bombing.

Allied "liberation" = Holocaust of the German People

The lady in question used to do the rounds on talk shows as opponent of Islam migration "but not a nazi, honest."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

You can raise objections to the bombing of Dresden.  You can wear black clothes.  You can get a buzz cut.  You can stand in large groups.  But you probably shouldn't do all of those things at the same time.

Eddie Teach

Frankly any German objections come off poorly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Weird to see the far right get involved in that one. The bombing of Dresden is widely accepted as a very iffy event. Highlights their hypocrisy really.
██████
██████
██████