And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Need to start building down!

Habbaku

:hmm: I'm actually now very interested in the concept. Wouldn't geothermal heating and such make that cheap to climate control as well?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2020, 09:22:54 AM
That solution works if one can build supply to meet demand.  But it is not as simple as fixing a regulatory issue.  Since we can only build up now, the small builder/developer is having a harder time.  Financing and building costs limit the entrants.  And those folks can afford to accumulate land and hold for better profits.

It is in fact capitalism at work.

Well what I see in SE England, at least, is shitton of "green" space (read desolate fields) and phobia of anything taller than 2 floors.

Maybe in case of big cities where there's simply no room, investment could be made to modern transport infrastructure like high speed rail links.

Or indeed just accept that's how big that city is getting. But in case of London and the SE, lack of capacity to raise supply is NOT the issue.

Eddie Teach

Nobody wants to live underground.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

In many ways property ownership doesn't make sense these days. The days of a job for life and a stable existence in one town forever and ever are over. People do need to move around a lot more. In a way it could be seen that more people renting and more of a sharing economy model is desirable.

But of course these are peoples homes we are talking about. A very different thing to a car or a hotel. This is one area where the traditional way will not entirely dissappear.

Nonetheless there is a huge trend amongst landlords these days to chase quick money and rents just keep going higher and higher.
We need rental properties to continue to be available but at the same time we don't want to encourage landlords.
It's a tricky one
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2020, 11:22:14 AM

People say the same thing about Mono-high rises.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 13, 2020, 11:25:45 AM
People do need to move around a lot more. In a way it could be seen that more people renting and more of a sharing economy model is desirable.

Do they? Working from home and working remotely seem to be much more common than they were in the past.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2020, 04:43:26 AM
There is a point where your city should stop growing.

Our society is based on the assumption that everything will grow forever. When things stagnate, shrink, or even just grow slower that is generally regarded as a disaster.

Which is a little illogical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2020, 11:39:24 AM
People do need to move around a lot more. In a way it could be seen that more people renting and more of a sharing economy model is desirable.

Do they? Working from home and working remotely seem to be much more common than they were in the past.

Yes, plus, with current demographics, good luck paying rent after retirement.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2020, 11:39:24 AM

More common.
We've still a long way to go until companies accepting remote working as the norm becomes standard.
Even my very relaxed current employer would probably balk if I said I was moving 50 miles away and would work from home most days
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 13, 2020, 11:44:36 AM
We've still a long way to go until companies accepting remote working as the norm becomes standard.

Maybe, but not nearly as long as we have to go before we change our economic model around home ownership.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2020, 11:33:15 AM

People need sunlight to be healthy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 13, 2020, 12:15:45 PM

Sunlight or dietary supplements.  Some people gain mental health benefits from the sun, but these benefits can be gained from light therapy, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2020, 11:33:15 AM

Presumably, it'd be a place to sleep/spend time at home.  Hopefully one would still get outside and not be a shut-in.  Otherwise, neither high-rise or negative-rise will matter.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 13, 2020, 12:24:49 PM

Sunlight or dietary supplements.  Some people gain mental health benefits from the sun, but these benefits can be gained from light therapy, as well.

I have a close acquaintance with a particular sensitivity to light deprivation.  Light therapy helps in the winter but is not nearly as effective as being in the sunlight in summer.

That person is an outlier but I wonder what long term effects of not having access to natural light would be.