Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2016, 12:54:37 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2016, 04:36:09 AM
Why do Americans have to do taxes?
Seems so usual to me. The government skimping on work.

Because the government doesn't keep track of all the things we do that can affect our tax bill.
And also because there are a lot of things we do that can affect our tax bill.

But Tyr's question is a good one.  For someone like me, there is literally zero reasons why IRS computer can't prepare my tax returns, and have me just sign off that there is nothing materially missing there.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2016, 01:10:45 PM

But Tyr's question is a good one.  For someone like me, there is literally zero reasons why IRS computer can't prepare my tax returns, and have me just sign off that there is nothing materially missing there.

Sure.

On the flip side, that means doing your own taxes is pretty simple, as long as you know you can skip through the "did you buy any fly-fishing equipment in 2015 that you want credited to 2014?" type questions pretty fast. 

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2016, 02:15:47 PM

Sure.

On the flip side, that means doing your own taxes is pretty simple, as long as you know you can skip through the "did you buy any fly-fishing equipment in 2015 that you want credited to 2014?" type questions pretty fast.
I guess the point I wanted to make, but didn't make clearly enough, is that there shouldn't be so many things we do that affect our tax bill.  Incidentally, I read an article about how Intuit is actually lobbying against any tax simplification, which I guess makes perfect rational if not moral sense.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2016, 03:31:15 PM
I guess the point I wanted to make, but didn't make clearly enough, is that there shouldn't be so many things we do that affect our tax bill.

I would have no problem with massive simplification of the tax code.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2016, 03:33:04 PM
I guess the point I wanted to make, but didn't make clearly enough, is that there shouldn't be so many things we do that affect our tax bill.

I would have no problem with massive simplification of the tax code.
Same here.  Hopefully Elizabeth Warren's bill will go somewhere.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2016, 02:15:47 PM

Sure.

I guess the point I wanted to make, but didn't make clearly enough, is that there shouldn't be so many things we do that affect our tax bill.  Incidentally, I read an article about how Intuit is actually lobbying against any tax simplification, which I guess makes perfect rational if not moral sense.

Damn Inuits, screwing up our tax codes with all their words for snow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

"Dudo of St. Quentin records an encounter between a party of Danes and King Charles of the Frankish kingdom. In the presence of the king, the Danes were ordered to show their submission by kissing the foot of the king. The leader of the Danes refused. One of his followers complied. But, rather than kneeling to kiss the foot of King Charles, the Dane stood, grabbed the king's foot, and lifted it up to the level of the Dane's own head, dragging the king out of his seat and onto the floor. With the king held upside-down, the Dane kissed the foot."
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Sunday drive with BV. That blasted rattling is the gopro mount I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIo_hdEgWPo&feature=youtu.be
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

What is that language?

God damn it. Bitch ?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2016, 11:14:38 AM
Why is it multiple websites can't be held in the same place?
As I understand it all a domain is is a redirect to some server space right?
Yet why is it you have to buy a seperate space for every domain?
No technical reason right?  Just companies trying to sell?

I don't follow.

Martinus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 18, 2016, 12:15:20 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2016, 11:14:38 AM
Why is it multiple websites can't be held in the same place?
As I understand it all a domain is is a redirect to some server space right?
Yet why is it you have to buy a seperate space for every domain?
No technical reason right?  Just companies trying to sell?

I don't follow.

I thought it was a poem.

Josquius

I buy x.com and y.com
If I buy hosting it only applies to x.com or y.com
I can't use the same hosting with two directories for the 2 domains. The most I can do is have hosting for x.com and a redirect from y.com to somewhere on x.com
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2016, 04:14:04 AM
I buy x.com and y.com
I can't use the same hosting with two directories for the 2 sites. The most I can do is have hosting for x.com and a redirect from y.com to somewhere on x.com

I still don't understand what the hell you are talking about.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2016, 04:14:04 AM
I buy x.com and y.com
I can't use the same hosting with two directories for the 2 domains. The most I can do is have hosting for x.com and a redirect from y.com to somewhere on x.com

You could, it is just not the way hosting companies sell their product to the public.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.