News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

QuoteA former BBC presenter who became the voice of the 'mind the gap' announcements on the London Underground has died of cancer.
Phil Sayer, 62, whose voice was heard on most of the automated PA systems on railway stations across the UK, died on Thursday.

I just read this and it made me sad. And that is just having heard his voice in the tube for three days, I imagine some Londoners will miss that voice.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maximus

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 15, 2016, 04:26:37 PM
QuoteA former BBC presenter who became the voice of the 'mind the gap' announcements on the London Underground has died of cancer.
Phil Sayer, 62, whose voice was heard on most of the automated PA systems on railway stations across the UK, died on Thursday.

I just read this and it made me sad. And that is just having heard his voice in the tube for three days, I imagine some Londoners will miss that voice.
:secret:I doubt he was saying it live.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Maximus on April 15, 2016, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 15, 2016, 04:26:37 PM

:secret:I doubt he was saying it live.

I hope not! That would suck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2016, 12:12:22 PM
So did not know which megathread to put it in, so here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/04/14/the-citadel-considers-first-ever-uniform-exception-allowing-a-muslim-hijab/

What does Languish think?

If Starfleet didn't have a problem with Worf's Klingon baldric, I don't see why the Citadel should have a problem with a hijab.  They could be all badass about it, like the Brigade of Gurkhas and shit.  Add some panache, for fuck's sake.

Don't like it, that's what you get for not testing into VMI, lulz. 

MadImmortalMan

Is anyone else trying to find reasons to put off doing your taxes right now?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2016, 09:03:32 PM
Is anyone else trying to find reasons to put off doing your taxes right now?  :P

:lol:  Monday night is a long way away, man.

DGuller

:blush:

Tonitrus

I did mine last weekend.  :P

I was already worrying mostly about doing my investment income from my 1099-B, as last year, I had to handjam in every singe stock transaction profit/cost basis.  Then this year fortunately, as I was using Taxslayer's website (which I have most of the last few years), I found out they no longer do free returns for military.  So I found another online provider that did (H&R Block via Military OneSource), and found on there that as long as I had a 1099-B declaration to the IRS showing profit/cost-basis and detailed transactions, I could just enter the summary total on my return. 

Long arduous process averted, with the mixed blessing that I quickly found out that I made enough investment income to owe the Feds some money, instead of a getting a refund.  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Well, that's just boo motherfucking hoo, Daddy Warbucks. 

Josquius

Why do Americans have to do taxes?
Seems so usual to me. The government skimping on work.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I did mine Thursday. I should have done mine earlier given that they owed me money - though on the other hand, it was painful all the bits for filing out of the country. Also fun the new section about Obamacare and why I only had insurance for 2 months. Thanks, Obama!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I have to do taxes too. Freelancers don't get a pre-filled tax form over here. It's nowhere near the nightmare that was filling all the tax forms in the US, though.

The Brain

One of the things that Sweden does well IMHO is taxes (they are crazy high though). For many people doing their taxes just means sending a simple text.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Why is it multiple websites can't be held in the same place?
As I understand it all a domain is is a redirect to some server space right?
Yet why is it you have to buy a seperate space for every domain?
No technical reason right?  Just companies trying to sell?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2016, 04:36:09 AM
Why do Americans have to do taxes?
Seems so usual to me. The government skimping on work.

Because the government doesn't keep track of all the things we do that can affect our tax bill.