The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2016, 04:58:06 AM
That's someone trolling, right? :unsure:
Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan-Anne_White

QuoteSusan-Anne White is an independent politician in County Tyrone. She stood for election to the local council in the Fermanagh and Omagh District Council election, 2014 and only got 67 votes. She contested the West Tyrone constituency (which is a safe Sinn Féin seat) in the 2015 General Election, but came ninth out of nine candidates, behind Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol

Originally from Newtownabbey, she moved to Trillick in 1997. Her campaign is based on 10 principles drawn up by Dr Alan Clifford, a Norwich based minister whose anti-gay and anti-Islam rants have led to police investigations in the past.[1]

She has aroused attention because of her strong and isolating views. She describes herself as biblically correct, not politically correct.[2]

She says she would "recriminalise homosexuality", given the chance and claims that gay people "are not born that way, they are out to recruit. We are in danger. One demand after another." She is opposed to the idea of gay people being allowed to donate blood.[3] She would also make adultery a criminal offence, and is critical of rock music because "The lyrics are promoting immorality, the noise is deafening, and they also promote anarchy."

Her 2015 manifesto promises to "oppose the global warming fanatics and their pseudo science" and "restore the concept of a family wage with the father as the breadwinner." She told the Belfast Telegraph: "I don't consider myself extreme – not at all. "It is society that has moved. Not so far in the past, most people would have shared my views.My views are extreme because society has moved away from God's principles."[4] She opposes feminism "with all her might", and says it is to blame for the recession. "They [feminists] are responsible for the economy - they destroyed the whole concept of a family wage with the father as the bread-winner and the stay-at-home mother. Women feel they have to be out in the workforce."[5]

https://thetruthshallsetyoufreeblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/susan-anne-white-wants-gay-people-jailed-adultery-made-illegal-and-rock-bands-outlawed-now-she-wants-your-vote-31133489.html

Maladict

CountDeMoney

Hey, she's not all that bad.  Animal cruelty gets 5 years, wants to ban FGM.  She doesn't believe in birth control or underaged or premarital sex, but she does believe in the orgasm.

And really now, the gays have really gotten rather obnoxious lately.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/god-is-a-boob-man/3021131

Grey Fox

Restore corporal punishment in schools. I like that one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Did God say not to use drugs in the bible? I mean, he clearly was ok with alcohol in moderation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

As a Special Bonus Gift for renewing my Economist subscription (no more mongo employee discount alas  :() I received The World in Figures. 

Was surprised to learn that the country that exports the most is the US.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2016, 08:14:03 AM
Restore corporal punishment in schools. I like that one.

I remember getting paddled once in middle school. This other kid was talking up how painful it was gonna be and shit. I don't know if he was trolling me or just a wuss. It was nothing. Advantages of corporal punishment at home, maybe?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2016, 12:44:38 PM
As a Special Bonus Gift for renewing my Economist subscription (no more mongo employee discount alas  :() I received The World in Figures. 

Was surprised to learn that the country that exports the most is the US.
By what measure? In goods it is usually second -  e.g. CIA World Factbook, it ranks second after China. Which is also what I would expect.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2078rank.html´

Does it include services? If so, the US would export way more services than I expect to make up for the gap with China in goods.

Admiral Yi

Zanza

My best guess is that income in that case is interest paid by the US economy to foreigners. At least in the IMF Balance of Payments, the US is #1. 
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BX.GSR.TOTL.CD?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

QuoteThe IMF definition of Balance of Payment
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) use a particular set of definitions for the BOP accounts, which is also used by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the United Nations System of National Accounts (SNA).[6]

The main difference in the IMF's terminology is that it uses the term "financial account" to capture transactions that would under alternative definitions be recorded in the capital account. The IMF uses the term capital account to designate a subset of transactions that, according to other usage, form a small part of the overall capital account.[7] The IMF separates these transactions out to form an additional top level division of the BOP accounts. Expressed with the IMF definition, the BOP identity can be written:
current account +  financial account+capital account+balancing item = 0
The IMF uses the term current account with the same meaning as that used by other organizations, although it has its own names for its three leading sub-divisions, which are:

• The goods and services account (the overall trade balance)
  • The primary income account (factor income such as from loans and investments)
  • The secondary income account (transfer payments)
balance of payments are also known as "balance of international trade"

Admiral Yi

The other way around I believe.  Overseas investment income earned by US residents is a US export.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2016, 12:41:54 PM
Did God say not to use drugs in the bible? I mean, he clearly was ok with alcohol in moderation.

Opposing halal slaughter is a bit odd.  It's essentially Kosher slaughter.  I don't know of anything in the bible against that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2016, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2016, 12:41:54 PM

Opposing halal slaughter is a bit odd.  It's essentially Kosher slaughter.  I don't know of anything in the bible against that.

Yeah those aren't too dissimilar.

But what I've heard about Kosher slaughter is you'll tend to find well experienced professional slaughter-men doing it and they also perform the whole thing in the religious way, I think most in this country might count as some form of rabbi/religious official. They can be quite 'efficient' at it, the swords or knives lessening some of the suffering, though not as good as a bolt gun.

Whereas isn't Halal more likely to be done by the owner of the animals in whatever way they see fit and a separate cleric just turns up and says the prayer before or after slaughter. Though I don't know what the practice is in the UK, is it more along ME lines or is it more akin to our regular practices with some prayers tacked on?

Though then again animal welfare in the food chain and in it's final processing is a lot more than just what happens in the last few minutes of life. I'd imagine a large centralised slaughter house can be a very traumatic experience for animals.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I read somewhere that ninja rabbis are much better than a bolt gun.

Martinus

I know people here have mixed feelings about Bill Maher (and yes, Raz, I know he have made some dodgy remarks about vaccines in the past) but this is one of his best rants I have seen in a while:

http://youtu.be/oLD2xzAX8Aw

Glad to see more and more liberals/leftists are turning away from the SJW debacle.