And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2014, 05:47:35 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2014, 05:24:37 PM
A weird thought I just had- could the minimum wage be tied into corporate profits :hmm:

Of course the corps would just find ways to cheat :(

Sure.  You could tie it to the phase of the moon, global mean temperature, just about anything.
They're not particularly related to the ability to pay wages and the labour of employees though.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2014, 05:54:59 PM
A weird thought I just had- could the minimum wage be tied into corporate profits :hmm:

What of course you should understand is that raising the minimum wage accross the board is hardly a solution to anything. It raises the costs of all business creating the products poor people buy (unless they move production out of the country, again hardly a benefit), plus raises the supply of money which again results in price raises.
:blink:
Wtf?
I didn't say raise the minim wage across the board. This random thought's central point is that it is absolutely not doing that
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 13, 2014, 05:51:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

Sure.  You could tie it to the phase of the moon, global mean temperature, just about anything.

While Yi's analogies are, of course, silly and flippant...the idea of tying wages to profits has a huge flaw when the company loses money.  As that logic would mean pay cuts, and potentially negative salaries if things get really bad.  :P

And as for ways to cheat...they'd just pull the same stunts film producers do to cut down actors making a percentage of the profits...by cheating down the actual profit numbers.

Admiral Yi

It raises the costs of all business creating the products poor people buy (unless they move production out of the country, again hardly a benefit), plus raises the supply of money which again results in price raises.

No it doesn't.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2014, 05:55:15 PM
They're not particularly related to the ability to pay wages and the labour of employees though.

Profits are not necessarily related to the labor of employees either. 

I suppose what you're proposing is analogous to profit sharing or commission renumeration.  There are historical precedents: crews signed on to whaling ships and slavers on a share-of-profits basis.

But do you really think most people would be willing to accept that degree of variability in their incomes?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2014, 06:04:33 PM

I suppose what you're proposing is analogous to profit sharing or commission renumeration.  There are historical precedents: crews signed on to whaling ships and slavers on a share-of-profits basis.

But do you really think most people would be willing to accept that degree of variability in their incomes?

Seedy probably would right now.  :P

But could he hack it as a slaver? :hmm:

DGuller

What of course you should understand is that raising the minimum wage accross the board is hardly a solution to anything. It raises the costs of all business creating the products poor people buy (unless they move production out of the country, again hardly a benefit), plus raises the supply of money which again results in price raises.
You're making quite a leap of faith in assuming that inflation would cancel out the benefits of increased minimum wage.  If you think just a little while about this, the absurdity of that conclusion would become pretty obvious.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2014, 06:18:39 PM
You're making quite a leap of faith in assuming that inflation would cancel out the benefits of increased minimum wage.  If you think just a little while about this, the absurdity of that conclusion would become pretty obvious.

He didn't say it would cancel out the benefits.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2014, 06:20:07 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2014, 06:18:39 PM

He didn't say it would cancel out the benefits.
He said:
QuoteWhat of course you should understand is that raising the minimum wage accross the board is hardly a solution to anything.
If inflation only partially offset the gains in minimum wage, then it wouldn't make sense to claim that it "is hardly a solution to anything".   :hmm: Then again, has Tamas ever made sense when it came to economics?

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2014, 05:37:31 PM
Nationalize Ide's candy

WHOA.

Private property has to be maintained for some things, commie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 13, 2014, 06:09:42 PM

Seedy probably would right now.  :P

But could he hack it as a slaver? :hmm:

Perhaps marginally better than a "catch-and-release" whaler, but only if it involved asian chicks in intermodal containers.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2014, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2014, 05:37:31 PM
Nationalize Ide's candy

WHOA.

Private property has to be maintained for some things, commie.

Chocolate and peanut butter belong to the people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

If you want to read about an athlete who is truly awesome, check out this story:

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/alex-zanardi-is-now-an-ironman--proving-legs-will-never-beat-heart-164550278.html;_ylt=AwrBT4bdqjxUaTUAK1tXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzYjBmNmlpBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDIyNl8x?.tsrc=bsnls

Alex Zanardi was a race driver who lost his legs in an accident in 2001. A few days ago I was wondering what happened to him, and then this article comes up. Apparently he has found a way to return to racing, and just finished an ironman in 9 hours 47 minutes. There is footage of him swimming at the link: he is a better swimmer than me and I have legs.  :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on October 13, 2014, 11:58:51 PM
he is a better swimmer than me and I have legs.  :blush:

You tried, though.

Josquius

I'm not imagining absolute variability here but rather broad pay bands for companies with different turn overs.
The idea is to raise the minimum wage for many but still allowing small companies to survive.

The big companies becoming even stronger due to all the good workers wanting to be with them is another problem.
██████
██████
██████