First Week of June Languish London Meet MEGATHREAD

Started by lustindarkness, April 01, 2015, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I arrived early, but fortunately Tricky is always very prompt and turned up shortly afterwards with Lusti and CF, who are both adorable, as are their accents. Thanks for the wine guys, so sweet of you to bring that all the way from Paris :hug:

As we caught up on their Euro travels and previous Languish meets, I was scanning the door for the next arrival. A Chinese guy was hovering in the door looking around and glancing at his phone. "Oh look, it's Mono," I joked. Lusti insisted Mono wasn't in London any more and had moved on to the Nordics. And then.. yes... the man, the myth, the money, the Mono came over to our table and asked "Brazen?" True to form he didn't buy a round but did ask for a glass of tap water (so long as it was free). He was great company and a perfect addition to our little group of random strangers off the internet  :bowler:

He could only stay 20 minutes before meeting Mrs Mono, who'd gone shopping, so I'm not sure if our two ex-pats garbon and Tamas, or our resident handsome frog Eochaid believed us when they turned up!

The List - if any of us had met you at a previous Languish meet, chances are we talked about you.

I stayed half an hour longer than I meant, missed my usual train, the next one was cancelled and I didn't get home until 10. Needless to say my article's running late...

Oh, Eochaid, I may have misled you when I said I left school in 1979 - that was primary school, not secondary. That's what two pints of real ale does to me. No wonder you said I looked good for my age!

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2015, 12:29:28 AM
I'm just going to post this here...

In celebration of Mrs B and I's 10 year wedding anniversary, we're planning a return trip to Scotland in 2016 (the location of our honeymoon back in the day).  But we've also discussed stopping in London for a day or two, in part to meet the Languish crew.

So anyways... for those who might be interested please keep May 2016 in mind as a chance to meet the one and only Barrister...
BB, you're on. In fact, if you're including Fife in your Scottish travels I could stay with relatives and show you round St Andrews and the like. In fact they hold a Chariots of Fire themed race along the West Sands in May! Be warned the weather can be... variable in Scotland in Spring - you could easily get snowed in in May! The Scots have a word for it - dreich.

Duque de Bragança

Not as epic as ordering tap water at La Tour d'Argent, but still pretty good on ™ The Mono scale™. :)

Eochaid

Quote from: Brazen on June 05, 2015, 03:30:37 AMOh, Eochaid, I may have misled you when I said I left school in 1979 - that was primary school, not secondary. That's what two pints of real ale does to me. No wonder you said I looked good for my age!

Not just 'for your age' luv, not just for your age  :hug:
It's been a while

Brazen

Brazen

Further to our discussion on modern youth slang, the "Cheeky Nando's" furore is a stunning example.

Quoteyou know when you go down town with the lads and you all realize you're hank marvin' so you say "lads let's go Maccers" but your mate Smithy a.k.a. The Bantersaurus Rex has some mula left on his nandos gift card and he's like "mate let's a have a cheeky nandos on me" and you go "Smithy my son you're an absolute ledge" so you go have an extra cheeky nandos with a side order of Top Quality Banter

QuoteIt's like when you and the lads have just landed in heathrow after a week getting wankered in magaluf. Someone probably got 'chris' tattooed on their arse cheek cos chris is an absolute fuckin ledge. You ride the bantmobile all the way back into town for a cheeky nandos before everyone goes home so their mums can wash their #ladsontour shirts you all had made specially. Fuckin top notch.

Quotem8 it's well simple. it's like you're hanging with the lads and you're peckish, and you're fancying a maccies cos you haven't been in ages, and it'd be proper good banter. But then your mandem will be like "nah let's have a cheeky nandos" and then you'll be proper chuffed, the banter train's going full steam ahead today, so you have your butterfly chicken and 2 fino sides and it's fucking top

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/going-to-westfield-with-the-archbishop-of-banterbury#.ts33WdVP2

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 06:03:35 AM
:unsure: I just realized I speak no English.

Yeah its a realisation I had when I moved here.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2015, 06:40:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 06:03:35 AM
:unsure: I just realized I speak no English.

Yeah its a realisation I had when I moved here.

Yeah but most of it is in a context where you can easily pick it up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Brazen on June 05, 2015, 03:30:37 AMAs we caught up on their Euro travels and previous Languish meets, I was scanning the door for the next arrival. A Chinese guy was hovering in the door looking around and glancing at his phone. "Oh look, it's Mono," I joked. Lusti insisted Mono wasn't in London any more and had moved on to the Nordics. And then.. yes... the man, the myth, the money, the Mono came over to our table and asked "Brazen?" True to form he didn't buy a round but did ask for a glass of tap water (so long as it was free). He was great company and a perfect addition to our little group of random strangers off the internet  :bowler: ,

You guys met Mono?  :worthy: :thumbsup:

Quote from: Brazen on June 05, 2015, 03:30:37 AMHe could only stay 20 minutes before meeting Mrs Mono, who'd gone shopping, so I'm not sure if our two ex-pats garbon and Tamas, or our resident handsome frog Eochaid believed us when they turned up!

:lol:

Love this thread, keep us posted. 

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2015, 07:32:23 AM
Tandoori chicken?
No, peri peri chicken, Portuguese but via Mozambique, and the chain was originally South African.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Brazen on June 05, 2015, 07:46:55 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2015, 07:32:23 AM
Tandoori chicken?
No, peri peri chicken, Portuguese but via Mozambique, and the chain was originally South African.

Piri piri appears to be the most common spelling though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_piri

Seems to be more and more famous. I spoke once with a Malaysian of Chinese ethnicity who liked it, and he saw it as a symbol of Portuguese gastronomy. The word itself is of Swahili origin but was lusitanised.