First Week of June Languish London Meet MEGATHREAD

Started by lustindarkness, April 01, 2015, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capturedfairy

So what are we doing on Friday?? Museums? Tower of London, Stonehenge?

Richard Hakluyt

Best see what the weather is like, if it is fine we can go on the riverboat from Westminster to Greenwich; once there have a look at the old observatory, the Cutty Sark, The Queen's House etc etc

If the weather is crap then I would suggest the museums in South Kensington, not sure how many foreigners get to the V&A museum for example......it is a cool museum though  :cool:

lustindarkness

Weather will be perfect, The Vacation Gods will make sure of that.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

I'm not sure they can be bothered in England. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Perfect weather is not necesarily perfect for us, may be perfect for the frogs and turtles.  :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

BTW I would like to visit the Cutty Sark, even in a rainy cloudy day.

Sad that the HMS Victory is not in London, the oldest commisioned ship (of course our USS Constitution is the oldest commisioned ship AFLOAT, not in dry dock :P).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 08, 2015, 08:59:29 AM
Perfect weather is not necesarily perfect for us, may be perfect for the frogs and turtles.  :lol:

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 08, 2015, 09:57:18 AM

Sad that the HMS Victory is not in London, the oldest commisioned ship (of course our USS Constitution is the oldest commisioned ship AFLOAT, not in dry dock :P).

I'm recommending the Greenwich trip as a good social one. The British Museum is stuffed with great stuff of course, but IMO is best enjoyed on your own or just with your partner, the exhibits there repay contemplation.

Plus I haven't been to the Cutty Sark since the renovation  :cool:

Admiral Yi

If one visits the Cutty Sark is there any libation in particular that would suit the occasion? :nerd:

capturedfairy

RH I like your plan. and yes 3pm at the hotel lobby/lounge will be perfect. Can't wait to meet you all. Hope Brazen can come too. :) :hug:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: capturedfairy on May 09, 2015, 02:40:06 PM
RH I like your plan. and yes 3pm at the hotel lobby/lounge will be perfect. Can't wait to meet you all. Hope Brazen can come too. :) :hug:

Excellent, see you there then  :cool:

Are you and Lusti offline once you leave the USA or will we be getting updates?

capturedfairy

we will have our phones and Lusti's computer. so we will be in touch. :hug:

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 08, 2015, 09:57:18 AM

It is a very doable day trip to see the Victory from London (I've done it--it is a not to long train ride to portsmouth--and the train station is right next to the ships). The naval museum there also has the Mary Rose and some other notable ships--it isn't just the Victory. I think that is the best day trip from London, though opinions may differ.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Also, in terms of naval stuff, they have a replica of the Golden Hind that you can visit in London. The guys there were really good to talk to--one mentioned that they needed to rearrange the cannons on the deck, and I eagerly volunteered to help--which they took me up on. I thought it was cool to drag around cannons on a replica 16th century ship, I'm sure they were wondering how they could reliably find other American goofs to do their manual labor for them.

It was very close to the Globe Theater.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

Talking about the Globe, there are performances of Shakespeare's King John with available tickets for Thursday evening or Friday afternoon if people fancy it?