First Week of June Languish London Meet MEGATHREAD

Started by lustindarkness, April 01, 2015, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 19, 2015, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 19, 2015, 12:15:04 PM
Quote from: capturedfairy on May 19, 2015, 11:57:17 AM
How far is the Eurostar train station to the Strand Palace Hotel? Can we make it on the metro or do we need a taxi? :hmm:

Anything under 20 miles we will walk, we need to get in shape for RH's death march. :P

Good man  :cool:

St Pancras is a short 20 minute walk to the Strand, slightly more than Euston to the Strand...........which I always walk as it is easier than getting the tube or hailing a cab; if you have heavy luggage then just get a cab. I guess it also depends on how good your mapreading skills are - first few minutes in a new city can be a bit confusing.

Maybe if you walk as fast as say a car. I'd say it is more like a 30+ minute walk. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

@garbon - yes, checking the map I see I was somewhat over-optimistic.

Brazen

You don't want to do that walk with luggage. Follow the signs from St Pancras to Kings Cross London Underground and take the Piccadilly Line southbound to Covent Garden. Take the elevator, don't try to climb the stairs! It's a short walk from there.

Alternatively, a black cab won't be too extortionate and very safe, don't listen to Marti, and there's a signposted taxi rank right outside St Pancras.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 19, 2015, 03:33:57 PM
I'm off to Scotland for a week or so in a couple of days btw. Living it up in cosmopolitan Ardnamurchan - I think we'll be off the net up there unless the local hostelry has wireless. So I'm hoping that a competent person is going to arrange our Thursday evening meetup................that's you Berry  ;)
:o

I have another pub to throw into the mix - The Old Shades on Whitehall. It's the one we go to after the Whitehall March with the English Civil War Society. Real ale, good food and authentically British appalling service in a historic location. The last time we went there in January, I could have sworn the the bar manager was actually Rupert Everett rehearsing for a role.

http://www.faucetinn.com/old-shades/

I suppose we'd better decide soon so I can book a table. :hmm:

How many are we, other than Legion?

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on May 20, 2015, 03:51:26 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 19, 2015, 03:33:57 PM
I'm off to Scotland for a week or so in a couple of days btw. Living it up in cosmopolitan Ardnamurchan - I think we'll be off the net up there unless the local hostelry has wireless. So I'm hoping that a competent person is going to arrange our Thursday evening meetup................that's you Berry  ;)
:o

I have another pub to throw into the mix - The Old Shades on Whitehall. It's the one we go to after the Whitehall March with the English Civil War Society. Real ale, good food and authentically British appalling service in a historic location. The last time we went there in January, I could have sworn the the bar manager was actually Rupert Everett rehearsing for a role.

http://www.faucetinn.com/old-shades/

I suppose we'd better decide soon so I can book a table. :hmm:

How many are we, other than Legion?

Sounds good to me. :)

lustindarkness

Thanks Berry.
How many are we? Like 8? I'll go through the thread from work in a couple of hours.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on May 20, 2015, 03:43:07 AM
You don't want to do that walk with luggage. Follow the signs from St Pancras to Kings Cross London Underground and take the Piccadilly Line southbound to Covent Garden.

You should be able to get to tube station from both train stations. Until recently, I wasn't even sure which train station was St. Pancras and which was Kings Cross (-_-) as I was also just at tube stop Kings Cross-St Pancras.  Of course, there is some value in getting into right end of the station as otherwise it is quite a hike to get to the Picadilly section

Quote from: Brazen on May 20, 2015, 03:43:07 AM
Take the elevator, don't try to climb the stairs!

Seconded as I did that once with an oversized suitcase and wanted to die (I think someone walking by called me brave). Waiting for elevator is well worth it.-_- :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 20, 2015, 06:45:22 AM
Thanks Berry.
How many are we? Like 8? I'll go through the thread from work in a couple of hours.

Here's what I pulled:
Lusti
CF
Brazen
Tamas
Marti
garbon
Eochaid + wife (?)
RH
Gups (?)

So perhaps as much as 10?

Valmy

Man when I went to a big Languish meet everybody bailed but me and Camper....wait it was me wasn't it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2015, 08:16:24 AM
Man when I went to a big Languish meet everybody bailed but me and Camper....wait it was me wasn't it?
When was this? :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2015, 06:54:39 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 20, 2015, 06:45:22 AM
Thanks Berry.

Here's what I pulled:
Lusti
CF
Brazen
Tamas
Marti
garbon
Eochaid + wife (?)
RH
Gups (?)

So perhaps as much as 10?

Sheilbh said he was wanting to go.
And legbiter wanted to be subscribed to our newslatter, but I don't think we ever produced a newletter did we? :unsure:
Warspite posted some recommendations, but did not state if he is in the area or interested.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2015, 08:41:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2015, 08:16:24 AM
When was this? :huh:

Chicago. 2006 I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

They bail on you at informal internet get-togethers, you skip their weddings & funerals. It's the Chicago way.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

We have a Friday evening to fill too  :P

If anyone can't make the Thursday then there is always the following day.

Warspite

I should have added more detail :p

I have no idea whether I will be able to make it or not - a lot of last-minute possibilities with work so if I am able to make it it's likely I will know only in the morning of that day.

(this sounds very exciting but it's more a case of 300 sheets of paper that need to be carefully checked)
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA