News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Lee Kwan Yew

Started by Queequeg, March 22, 2015, 03:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2015, 10:40:44 PM
Which shows Singapore being richer than Malaysia, China, and India even at the start. Still, impressive growth, no doubt.

It was roughly even with malaysia which at the time was third world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2015, 10:44:27 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2015, 10:40:44 PM
Which shows Singapore being richer than Malaysia, China, and India even at the start. Still, impressive growth, no doubt.

It was roughly even with malaysia which at the time was third world.
It was actually closer to twice as high as Malaysia's, though you can't see it clearly on Zanza's graph (because linear scale makes growth look more impressive, interpretability be damned).

Queequeg

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 23, 2015, 10:22:06 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2015, 05:14:17 PM
I'd much rather live in a society with property rights, rule of law and government monopoly on violence than one with just political liberties, TBH.  It's not even close.  Give me 1870s Prussia/Germany over 1870s Deadwood any day of the week.

I'll take Deadwood. And I see no reason we can't both have what we want.
Well enjoy having your throat slit by Al Swearengen.  I'll be drinking Riesling with Max Weber in Heidelberg. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I'd much rather live in a society with property rights, rule of law and government monopoly on violence than one with just political liberties, TBH.  It's not even close.  Give me 1870s Prussia/Germany over 1870s Deadwood any day of the week.

Go to to Detroit and get involved in the Drug business.  That's pretty close to the mining business in Deadwood in terms and profitability and survivorship.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Camerus on March 23, 2015, 06:10:45 PM
Another issue with the Singapore model apart from its acceptance of authoritarianism is its tolerance of massive wealth inequality.  This could also be a function of the lack of democracy.

We all know how well American democracy has dealt with that particular problem. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 23, 2015, 07:18:50 PM
Quote from: Camerus on March 23, 2015, 06:10:45 PM
I wouldn't mind living in a "soft" authoritarian state with economic opportunities.... provided I still have my Western passport of course.   ;)

Another issue with the Singapore model apart from its acceptance of authoritarianism is its tolerance of massive wealth inequality.  This could also be a function of the lack of democracy.

I find Singapore's kind of authoritarianism super easy to live with.  I can't chew gum.  Big deal.  Can't criticise the government.  Not going to do that anyway.  Public humiliation for people who litter.  That's good, actually. 

As for massive wealth inequality, that happens everywhere in the world, especially in wealthy financial hubs.  They do have welfare institutions in place, the most famous being cheap public housing for like 80-90% of the population.

I don't think most straight men would have a problem with patriarchal authoritarianism on a personal level. It's different if you are a single woman or gay.

For example, you still get jailed in Singapore for gay sex.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2015, 12:49:56 AM
I don't think most straight men would have a problem with patriarchal authoritarianism on a personal level. It's different if you are a single woman or gay.

Are you saying chewing gum makes you gay?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

No idea about Singapore and gays.  What's the issue with single women in Singapore?  :unsure:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2015, 11:09:44 PM

Well enjoy having your throat slit by Al Swearengen.  I'll be drinking Riesling with Max Weber in Heidelberg.
Germany in 1870 wasn't all that oppressive. Your analogy would make more sense if you used Czarist Russia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2015, 12:58:24 AM

No idea about Singapore and gays.  What's the issue with single women in Singapore?  :unsure:

Google it.

Martinus

By the way, isn't it reassuring that Tim teaches English?

Eddie Teach

Well, he does know a lot of synonyms for "bad".