News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Lee Kwan Yew

Started by Queequeg, March 22, 2015, 03:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I'm really glad we could get two threads about him...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

A chance for Martinus to dance on his grave a second time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Martinus

I thought we already had one thread about Lick One Yew?

Sheilbh

Pretty incredible legacy to leave behind, he's probably one of the most important and influential men of the mid-late twentieth century.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2015, 07:10:45 AM
Pretty incredible legacy to leave behind, he's probably one of the most important and influential men of the mid-late twentieth century.

Outside of Southeast Asia what was his importance and influence?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 07:22:53 AM

Having that punk Michael Fay beaten.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 07:22:53 AM

He was a peace broker between mainland China and Taiwan in the 90s.  Lee is Chinese, has great international standing and is seen as an honest broker between the two sides. 

Probably even more important is his ideology.  Every time someone says that only western style liberal democracies succeed, one of the most potent counter arguments is to point to Singapore.  Clean, efficient government, first world living standards and growth, somewhat curtailed civil liberties, a mix of democracy and dictatorship, all in a tiny city-state that isn't supposed to survive on its own.  Singapore is seen as a viable alternative to western style liberal democracies. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 23, 2015, 08:41:52 AM
He was a peace broker between mainland China and Taiwan in the 90s.  Lee is Chinese, has great international standing and is seen as an honest broker between the two sides.

Well that's a thing.

QuoteProbably even more important is his ideology.  Every time someone says that only western style liberal democracies succeed, one of the most potent counter arguments is to point to Singapore.  Clean, efficient government, first world living standards and growth, somewhat curtailed civil liberties, a mix of democracy and dictatorship, all in a tiny city-state that isn't supposed to survive on its own.  Singapore is seen as a viable alternative to western style liberal democracies. 

I am not sure the idea that a benevolent dictatorship is a great form of government has ever gone away. The problem is that those are hard to find.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

It is hardly benevolent - of course if you are like Mono and you don't believe in personal freedom, then sure it is an example of a "success story". But so was nazi Germany until early 1940s, if your definition of a success is Holocaust of the Jews.

Admiral Yi

I think Lee's influence is more along the lines of dictatorships seeking ex post justification rather than honestly serving as a model for other countries to emulate.

So not very influential.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 08:56:58 AM

I am not sure the idea that a benevolent dictatorship is a great form of government has ever gone away. The problem is that those are hard to find.

See, he has done it.  It is not a theory.  Here is a rich, generally happy, peaceful one-party state that holds genuine, if flawed elections every few years, and the people vote for it every time.  It may not be much in the eyes of the US or western Europe.  But for places like China, Iraq, Afganistan etc, Singapore can serve as a role model.

Sheilbh

Disagree. I think he's one of the father figures of the modern East Asian model and considerably more influential than any PM of Singapore has a right to be.
Let's bomb Russia!