Main Menu

RIP Lee Kwan Yew

Started by Queequeg, March 22, 2015, 03:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2015, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 02:26:54 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2015, 12:21:09 PM
I don't know what the capitalized "Democracy" is that you are referring to, here, so can't respond.  Maybe if you explained what you think it required for Democracy we can discuss that.

I meant democracy but capitalized it by mistake. I try not to bring in terms and concepts from outside a discussion is I can help it. My apologies.

Okay.  I misunderstood.  I thought you were bringing in a new idea.

I think I have explained my position on Indian democracy and why I think Singapore is more likely to develop what i consider true democracy (and what true democracy is) about as well as I can.  Feel free to disagree, but hopefully do so on something stronger than BB's "so long as you have a peaceful transition of power you are a democracy."  Russia's a democracy by that standard.

How is Russia a democracy by that standard?

The transition from USSR to Russia was most definitely not peaceful, punctuated by quite a number of tanks.  Putin was then Yeltsin's hand-picked successor.  Medveyev was Putin's hand-picked successor, and of course proceeded to hand the Presidency back to Putin.

A peaceful transition of power is not a transition within the same ruling party or structure - if that was all it took then even the PRC would be a successful democracy.  Instead it is the peaceful transition between opposing parties or groups that makes one a successful democracy.

It's a rough measuring stick, but a fairly useful one IMO.  It allows you to weed out countries with democratic facades such as Russia, or even Singapore, with flawed but functioning democracies.

There is at least one country that my suggested rule would mark as not a democracy, but other indications would say it is - South Africa.

I would disagree with your assertion that a democracy requires an educated and informed electorate.  Not that an educated and informed electorate is not very helpful - it is.  But by making it a requirement, you make democracy a measuring stick for social development, and not something independent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 08:56:58 AM
I am not sure the idea that a benevolent dictatorship is a great form of government has ever gone away. The problem is that those are hard to find.
The idea of benevolent dictatorship has been there ever since the time of the first dictatorship.  Sometimes it even happened to come to fruition.  Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to create a system where you can have both a leader that is powerful enough to be a dictator, and institutions that are powerful enough to ensure their benevolence.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2015, 02:49:09 PM
There is at least one country that my suggested rule would mark as not a democracy, but other indications would say it is - South Africa.
Bavaria has been ruled by the same party for 58 years now and there is no end in sight. Yet no one doubts that Bavaria is a working liberal democracy.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 03:03:26 PM
Bavaria has been ruled by the same party for 58 years now and there is no end in sight. Yet no one doubts that Bavaria is a working liberal democracy.
:zipped:

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 03:03:26 PM

And Alberta has been ruled by the same party for 44 years.

Still think "has there been a peaceful transition of power" is a useful measuring stick.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

Beeb has issues with the ANC? Tell me it ain't so. That a white conservative possibly could be against darkies ruling themselves.

Zanza

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on March 23, 2015, 04:15:48 PM
Beeb has issues with the ANC? Tell me it ain't so. That a white conservative possibly could be against darkies ruling themselves.

The real problem lies with people who don't have an issue with the ANC.

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2015, 02:51:47 PM
I am not sure the idea that a benevolent dictatorship is a great form of government has ever gone away. The problem is that those are hard to find.
The idea of benevolent dictatorship has been there ever since the time of the first dictatorship.  Sometimes it even happened to come to fruition.  Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to create a system where you can have both a leader that is powerful enough to be a dictator, and institutions that are powerful enough to ensure their benevolence.
IDK, I think it's possible-maybe easier-to establish rule of law and property rights within an authoritarian structure than an undeveloped democratic one.  India and Brazil don't have either despite democracy.  Fukuyama's latest talks a lot about this. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I'd much rather live in a society with property rights, rule of law and government monopoly on violence than one with just political liberties, TBH.  It's not even close.  Give me 1870s Prussia/Germany over 1870s Deadwood any day of the week. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Camerus on March 23, 2015, 09:20:04 AM
Mono is right that the Singaporean example - sometimes as a shining exemplar of so-called "Asian values" - is one frequently held up by gradual-reform CCPers as the ultimate goal for China, and that is part of Lee's legacy (for better or for worse).  Of course, whether that model would be viable on the scale of a nation as large as China is another question, and my own view is that it probably wouldn't be.

Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, apparently not Asian enough. :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2015, 04:57:53 PM
IDK, I think it's possible-maybe easier-to establish rule of law and property rights within an authoritarian structure than an undeveloped democratic one.  India and Brazil don't have either despite democracy.  Fukuyama's latest talks a lot about this.
I don't disagree with grumbler's thesis.  Order comes before freedom, in my opinion, both in priority and in timing.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2015, 09:05:52 AM
Between your love for the Catholic Church, sympathy for Mike Huckabee and this, your politics is frequently very bizarre.
I don't think any of those things - to the extent they exist - mean anything about my politics. I don't only like, or try to understand or empathise with things or people I already agree with. That's easy and boring.

QuoteDid you lack a strong father figure in your upbringing or something, as you seem to yearn for a paternalistic authoritarianism.
Erm, no and no :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2015, 05:24:13 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2015, 04:57:53 PM
I don't disagree with grumbler's thesis.  Order comes before freedom, in my opinion, both in priority and in timing.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - B. Franklin.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 04:21:29 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 23, 2015, 04:15:48 PM

The real problem lies with people who don't have an issue with the ANC.

I do, and I would like to see someone else in charge in SA. The ANC was a liberation movement. Like so many other liberation movements, it's turned to an oligarchy.