News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2015, 07:24:26 PM
Yet most of the forum is in the opposite quadrant.  :hmm:

I really suspect if the politicians plotted took the test they would not be where they are according to that. They seem to skew them up and right.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2015, 07:24:26 PM
Yet most of the forum is in the opposite quadrant.  :hmm:

The authoritarian-libertarian axis is bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 17, 2015, 10:23:02 PM
How so?

Because the opposite of libertarian is not authoritarian.  Libertarians want protection of property rights which requires some sort of authority even if it's just a mob.  The opposite of Authoritarianism is anarchy where there are no restrictions on actions at all.  Not legal, ethical, religious, private or public.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

You are wrong, Raz, anarchism is really the extreme form of libertarianism.

Grinning_Colossus

Is Raz talking about anarchism or anarchy? Traditional anarchists don't necessarily support anarchy, just voluntary, self-organized order maintained by social norms.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Siege

"Michael Brown, a police officer, a radical Muslim from CAIR, and a Jew are on one side of a river and have to get across on a boat that can only fit two people. If the radical Muslim from CAIR is alone with the Jew, he will attack him. If Michael Brown is alone with the police officer, he will take the police officer's gun and shoot him with it. How can the four get across safely without harm coming to anyone?

If 4 homeland security employees can legalize 40 illegals in 4 hours, how many hours would it take 7 homeland security employees to legalize 70 illegals?

If you call a company in Mexico on the phone, what number do you need to press to hear the voice menu in Spanish?

When minority youngsters get into violent trouble with police, we always see photos of them dressed in their high school graduation outfit. Do you think minority youth would be less suspicious looking if they stopped using graduation outfits as every day walking around clothes?

If Lando Calrissian is the only black person in the original Star Wars universe, who were his parents?

In the Blade series Wesley Snipes was a black vampire at conflict with white vampires. Do you think if the white vampires had a more inclusive diversity program, that conflict might have been avoided?

If it is ok to remake Shakespeare and Little Orphan Annie with black people, when can we expect to see the remake of Roots with an all white cast?"

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 18, 2015, 02:14:40 AM
Is Raz talking about anarchism or anarchy? Traditional anarchists don't necessarily support anarchy, just voluntary, self-organized order maintained by social norms.

I don't think Raz knows.  He's been demonizing "libertarians' here for so long I don't think he even knows that the term describes a belief set rather than a group of people.  Anarchy describes a condition, not a set of beliefs.  As you note, anarchism isn't the espousal of anarchy, but rather the rejection of arbitrary authority.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

And I see Siege is plagiarizing more ideas from other people.  At least he and ML King Jr had one thing in common.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on March 18, 2015, 05:01:28 AM
If it is ok to remake Shakespeare and Little Orphan Annie with black people, when can we expect to see the remake of Roots with an all white cast?"

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

QuoteWhen minority youngsters get into violent trouble with police, we always see photos of them dressed in their high school graduation outfit. Do you think minority youth would be less suspicious looking if they stopped using graduation outfits as every day walking around clothes?

"Always"? Every single minority youngster who has ever gotten into violent trouble with the police have graduated from High School? That is an amazing stat Siege. Why do you think minorities always wait until they are over 18 to get into violent trouble with the police and why do they graduate at a higher rate than the general population?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 18, 2015, 12:58:03 AM
You are wrong, Raz, anarchism is really the extreme form of libertarianism.

Nope.  Most forms of Anarchy abolish private property.  That's a big no-no in libertarian circles.

Razgovory

I thought I said anarchy.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2015, 06:18:10 AM

I don't think Raz knows.  He's been demonizing "libertarians' here for so long I don't think he even knows that the term describes a belief set rather than a group of people.  Anarchy describes a condition, not a set of beliefs.  As you note, anarchism isn't the espousal of anarchy, but rather the rejection of arbitrary authority.

Says, the libertarian.  Don't bother denying it.  I know you wouldn't dream of disagreeing with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 09:45:52 AM
Nope.  Most forms of Anarchy abolish private property.  That's a big no-no in libertarian circles.

Just pretend it says 'order vs anarchy'.  Same intended meaning and no need for us to get into semantic debates.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."