News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Josquius

Economics are very much secondary to the right-left thing. Hitler overall  was all about some people being inherently better than others, that has right wing written all over it, even if most right wingers don't go anywhere near such extremes of 'lets turn the inferior people into lampshades'.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2015, 02:52:40 PM
The whole Stalin/Hitler fallacy comes from a failure to understand that there are three large political ideologies, not two - liberalism, collectivism and conservatism. Both Stalin and Hilter were collectivist (although Hitler also used elements of conservatism). Both were equidistant from liberalism.

:hmm: More agreement with Martinus. This is troublesome.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2015, 03:02:31 PM
The whole Stalin/Hitler fallacy comes from a failure to understand that there are three large political ideologies, not two - liberalism, collectivism and conservatism. Both Stalin and Hilter were collectivist (although Hitler also used elements of conservatism). Both were equidistant from liberalism.

What do you mean by conservatism?  Like class privilege, monarchy, church, etc?

I have no idea what's on about.  The underlying principle of rightist thought is the creation of or preservation of hierarchy.  The underlying principle of leftist thought is equality.  In Hitler's view, the hierarchy was based mostly on race.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2015, 03:03:49 PM
Economics are very much secondary to the right-left thing.

Economics are the closest place the "right-left thing" comes to coherence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2015, 03:04:19 PM

:hmm: More agreement with Martinus. This is troublesome.

That is troubling.  You need your head examined to see if something fell out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2015, 03:03:49 PM
Economics are very much secondary to the right-left thing. Hitler overall  was all about some people being inherently better than others, that has right wing written all over it, even if most right wingers don't go anywhere near such extremes of 'lets turn the inferior people into lampshades'.

Can you provide some more moderate examples of this attitude in modern-day politics?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2015, 03:08:35 PM
The underlying principle of rightist thought is the creation of or preservation of hierarchy.

Huh. Any right wingers want to comment on this? It can be true depending on the flavor of rightism but if somebody says they are rightwing I don't know if I immediately assume this is true.

QuoteThe underlying principle of leftist thought is equality.

I think of it more like justice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
Huh. Any right wingers want to comment on this?

The only way it makes the remotest bit of sense to me is if you spin opposition to equality of outcome as preservation of hierarchy.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2015, 03:20:30 PM
Huh. Any right wingers want to comment on this?

The only way it makes the remotest bit of sense to me is if you spin opposition to equality of outcome as preservation of hierarchy.

...which would be, of course, idiotic.

Any "definition" that those who actually claim to hold to reject is a crappy definition, in general. And specifically as it regards to any attempt to actually have a discussion, it is definitely worse than useless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Huh. Any right wingers want to comment on this? It can be true depending on the flavor of rightism but if somebody says they are rightwing I don't know if I immediately assume this is true.

In terms of authoritarian rightism, I'd agree with Raz.  But not everyone on the right is authoritarian, at least not since Goldwater.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 03:29:13 PM
In terms of authoritarian rightism, I'd agree with Raz.  But not everyone on the right is authoritarian, at least not since Goldwater.

Not a concept I'm familiar with.  Please elaborate.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 17, 2015, 04:00:15 PM
Was Goldwater a rightist?

He opposed the public accomodation clause of the Civil Rights Act on the grounds it was an infringement on property rights.  That's about as far right as one can go IMO without being a loon.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2015, 03:34:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 03:29:13 PM

Not a concept I'm familiar with.  Please elaborate.

Thought this was something we were all pretty familiar with.  I find it a lot more useful than a simple left-right axis.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.