News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 10:05:19 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 09:53:48 AM
The big change for me is that I no longer believe that within the bounds of a free market, more free is actually better. The results largely speak for themselves, and it is clear to me that when all the actors are unrestrained, those with power and wealth will manipulate the system to get themselves more and more power and wealth. This must be controlled in some fashion, IMO.

:(

Can you really watch what is happening in this country and come to some OTHER conclusion?

The ultra-rich are getting more and more and more and more ultra-rich. It is not sustainable.

This is the same bitch I have had with democrats and their dogged faith in re-distributive taxation. Even if you assume that it is desirable, surely there is some point where you say "This is enough - this is the right balance".

So I am curious, what is it that you think is the right distribution? Unless you are an extreme outlier in the US population, it is very likely that what you think is ideal is radically different from where you think it is now, and where it actually is likely far worse than where you think it is now, and it is getting worse every year, not better.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

You know what happens when those with power and wealth ignore the common yokels right?

That's right. We get mowed down by their invincible army of combat robots.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2015, 10:13:18 AM
That's right. We get mowed down by their invincible army of combat robots.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 10:12:59 AM
Can you really watch what is happening in this country and come to some OTHER conclusion?

The ultra-rich are getting more and more and more and more ultra-rich. It is not sustainable.

This is the same bitch I have had with democrats and their dogged faith in re-distributive taxation. Even if you assume that it is desirable, surely there is some point where you say "This is enough - this is the right balance".

So I am curious, what is it that you think is the right distribution? Unless you are an extreme outlier in the US population, it is very likely that what you think is ideal is radically different from where you think it is now, and where it actually is likely far worse than where you think it is now, and it is getting worse every year, not better.

I just don't see it as something to get worked up about.  I would like to see the middle class doing a bit better than it is, but I don't think we should do that by picking the Rich Man's pocket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 10:12:59 AM

I just don't see it as something to get worked up about.

A greater and greater share of the nations wealth and political power going to a smaller and smaller slice of the population is not something to get worked up about?

I would like to see the middle class doing a bit better than it is, but I don't think we should do that by picking the Rich Man's pocket.

If the middle class is not doing better because the ultra rich are taking 100%+ of the increases in wealth, then you cannot possibly address that issue without, well, addressing that issue.

Your statements make no sense together. It is like saying you wish your baseball team would hit better, but you don't think we should worry about their ability to hit the ball so much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Berkut, I take exception with your notion of "taking wealth."

When I make an IRA contribution, I'm not "taking wealth."  When that contribution earns a return I'm not "taking wealth."

Valmy

Contributing to the IRA Yi?  Well I guess people celebrate St. Patrick's day in all sorts of ways.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

In all seriousness the problem is technological change and its influence on the structure of economies. I don't know what the answer is but things will be pretty messy until we figure it out.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2015, 10:32:49 AM
Contributing to the IRA Yi?  Well I guess people celebrate St. Patrick's day in all sorts of ways.

Yeah WTF.  That's Seedy's schtick.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The chick on the phone had a sexy accent.  :blush:

derspiess

Bleh.  Irish is one of the least sexy accents out there.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 10:53:26 AM

Great on guys.

I recently realized that what I don't like is women with South African accents. Sounds a bit grating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

:o

Disagree.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2015, 10:54:34 AM

Great on guys.

I recently realized that what I don't like is women with South African accents. Sounds a bit grating.

Australian women are worse.  Somehow making "No" into three syllables.   :yuk:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2015, 10:54:34 AM
Great on guys.

Makes sense.  The ladies sure love that Colin Farrell in all his gruffness.

QuoteI recently realized that what I don't like is women with South African accents. Sounds a bit grating.

The only South African gal I've spent any time around had such a faded accent she nearly sounded American, save for how she pronounced certain vowels.