News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2015, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2015, 07:16:08 PM
Just like the Hitler is a leftist argument.

No one has made that argument.

Tyr said that those arguments have been made.  In fact, they are frequently made amongst right wingers in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2015, 07:36:57 PM
Tyr said that those arguments have been made.

Can't argue with that.

Eddie Teach

Hitler is the Fiji to Stalin's Samoa. Or vice versa. Not so important which side of the international date line they fall on as that they're both way out in the middle of the south Pacific.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Rather than a line I imagine the left-right spectrum as a horseshoe shape, so the communists and fascists are closer to each other than they are to the liberal centre.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on March 14, 2015, 07:19:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 07:03:26 PM

This is reasonable, if deeply debatable, up to 9 and 10.  Both Franco and Hitler pursued very statist economic policies.  And it's not as if someone who is center-right enjoys wars of conquest and exterminating race enemies, just not quite as much as Hitler did.

Of course, as someone already pointed out it's impossible for a linear scale to encompass all the variation in political opinions.

As you mention it isn't so possible to put all political opinions on a linear scale. For example, what counts as far right? It could include a true believer in absolute monarchy and the divine right of kings, a white supremacist, or a hardcore economic libertarian. The three have almost nothing in common.

I think the 10 spot has to go to Hitler though. When you hear of "far right extremist groups", you know the discussion isn't about Milton Friedman disciples. I think most people understands that far right usually includes racism and extreme nationalism, while center right does not.

I thought this was purely economics, not counting social policies.  So to me, a 10 would be a true libertarian, anarcho-capitalist, as in people are able to self govern themselves without the need to regulate the market.
At 0, you are a pure communist, meaning you think a government intervention is necessary to bring you to state of utopia where people will self govern themselves.  I think typical anarchist would fit in the same spot, despite them not seeing eye to eye with the communists.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Interesting bimodal distribution at 3 and 7. 

derspiess

Do we really have six people that are between 8 & 10?  :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 04:05:19 PM
only because there's nothing higher :(   people are a little shy of putting themselves on the max slot.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 04:05:19 PM

I couldn't name them if so. Maybe there are a bunch of people who don't post on politics much. We do tend to beat the snot out of people with minority opinions sometimes.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Beeb said he's a 10.  Veep said he's a 10.  Seeb, if he voted, must be a 10.  Speesh has to be at least an 8.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 04:14:11 PM
Beeb said he's a 10.  Veep said he's a 10.  Seeb, if he voted, must be a 10.  Speesh has to be at least an 8.

Saw Beeb's post.  Did not see Veep.  I'm definitely farther to the right than either of them, so I declare their 10s to be null and void.  I am the only 9 thus far.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 04:15:30 PM
Saw Beeb's post.  Did not see Veep.  I'm definitely farther to the right than either of them, so I declare their 10s to be null and void.  I am the only 9 thus far.

Hey, if you're a 20 on Languish, they can be 10s.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Beetlejuice had to give himself at least an 8.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 04:15:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 04:14:11 PM

I said I was an eleven. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.