News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 09:50:20 AM
Says, the libertarian.  Don't bother denying it.

The Raz Inquisition!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2015, 09:53:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 09:45:52 AM
Nope.  Most forms of Anarchy abolish private property.  That's a big no-no in libertarian circles.

Just pretend it says 'order vs anarchy'.  Same intended meaning and no need for us to get into semantic debates.

That is a bit more acceptable.  It the graph seems like a lot like the Nolan chart, which is designed to convince people they are already libertarian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 09:57:43 AM
That is a bit more acceptable.  It the graph seems like a lot like the Nolan chart, which is designed to convince people they are already libertarian.

I think the issue isn't with the chart itself, but the questions asked and where it plots your answers on the chart.  The chart itself is solid IMO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2015, 09:53:29 AM
Just pretend it says 'order vs anarchy'.  Same intended meaning and no need for us to get into semantic debates.

So long as no one but Raz makes that blunder, that's a good solution.  Anarchy is a condition, though, not a belief system.  If other people make the mistake of believing that the only alternative to authoritarianism is anarchy, then they fall into the trap the right routinely sets.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Ok I recommend we move to this one:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2015, 10:13:15 AM

I think the issue isn't with the chart itself, but the questions asked and where it plots your answers on the chart.  The chart itself is solid IMO.

Where would you put Anarcho-Syndacism?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Eh, even if you had perfectly chosen issues along a line to demarcate a preference for order vs freedom or vice versa, but only when those principles collide, there would still be the problem that many controversial issues don't fit properly on either that axis or the economic one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I think maybe you're trying to put too fine of a point on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 10:50:29 AM

Where would you put Anarcho-Syndacism?

Bottom left.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 18, 2015, 11:42:08 AM
Eh, even if you had perfectly chosen issues along a line to demarcate a preference for order vs freedom or vice versa, but only when those principles collide, there would still be the problem that many controversial issues don't fit properly on either that axis or the economic one.

You can always find issues that don't fit on any axis, let alone the economic freedom/personal freedom axes that the political compass is trying to capture), but I suspect they will be fewer on the compass than most 2-axis spectra.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Even when they forced collectivization?  Or when they Joined with the communist government in Spain.  Or Nestor Makho's Anarchists in the Ukraine who did similar things and slaughtered Mennonites.

Any ideology that totally rejects government is like a saddle without a horse.  When put in practice it must be amended to use coercion otherwise it's as useless people debating on a forum.

This is one of the reasons I am suspicious of Libertarians and their desire of a world without coercion.  A great deal of them own weapons, and people who own weapons believe in coercion.

Grinning_Colossus

Any ideas for a z-axis for the Political Compass?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 01:43:36 PM
Even when they forced collectivization?  Or when they Joined with the communist government in Spain.  Or Nestor Makho's Anarchists in the Ukraine who did similar things and slaughtered Mennonites.

No. Not then. Nobody's perfect.

QuoteAny ideology that totally rejects government is like a saddle without a horse.  When put in practice it must be amended to use coercion otherwise it's as useless people debating on a forum.

None of us have an ideology that totally rejects government, so I am glad we are still useful to debate on a forum. Well at least not so far as I know. Scips or Habs might but they rarely debate this kind of stuff with us.

QuoteThis is one of the reasons I am suspicious of Libertarians and their desire of a world without coercion.  A great deal of them own weapons, and people who own weapons believe in coercion.

I do believe in coercion yet I have no weapons. It is only because of coercion that I am able to do so.

But in any case, as I said, that axis there is not an indication of fanatical Libertarians but 'Liberty vs. Safety' or 'Freedom vs. Control' or whatever. We all know you hate Libertarians.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points