News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Now I wouldn't argue with the contention that there is an association of Islam & terrorism in the minds of many Westerners.  Islam hasn't exactly done the best PR to combat that. 

What I'm curious about is what % of Westerners think Muslim people generally like terrorism.  I know that sounds like splitting hairs but I honestly think there could be a difference between the two.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:44:50 PM
You mean, like the polls cited by the Christian Science Monitor article?

Sifting through that now.  Not seeing anything specifically cited that meets my criteria.

QuotePublic opinion surveys in the United States and Europe show that nearly half of Westerners associate Islam with violence and Muslims with terrorists.

Admittedly, I haven't seen any polls, and the authour does mnot link any. Maybe the author is full of shit, I have no idea. But assuming s/he isn't, is this the sort of data you are looking for?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 05:54:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 05:46:57 PM
Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 05:41:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 04:10:53 PM
think of what would happen to gays in America, if there was a revolution and right-wing "Tea Party" fundies seized power. .

They wouldn't be able to get married anymore, but would pay lower income taxes.

Cant agree with that. The train has already left the station on that one. No going back.

So the only affect would be that they would pay lower income taxes, then.

Don't care about the tax part. Just the other. Much to the TP religious fundies, no stopping. As it should be.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 05:56:05 PM
Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 05:54:38 PMSo the only affect would be that they would pay lower income taxes, then.

Assuming the Tea Party is willing to take direction from 11B4V and his ilk.

If by ilk, you mean centrist, guilty as charged.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:59:12 PM
Admittedly, I haven't seen any polls, and the authour does mnot link any. Maybe the author is full of shit, I have no idea. But assuming s/he isn't, is this the sort of data you are looking for?

Do half the people you know think "all Muslims are with the terrorists?"  I don't know a single person that thinks this way.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 06:03:13 PM

Even simpler than that, I meant "people who'd say no backing out on gay marriage."

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:38:38 PM

Even simpler than that, I meant "people who'd say no backing out on gay marriage."

Good glad we agree about no going back.

mongers

It's a rather odd sight to see some North American posters taking Europeans to task over they're attitudes to muslim and islam, given the overtly racists attitudes expressed here by a few of those same posters in the run up to, and the immediate aftermath of Iraq war.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:46:06 PM
It's a rather odd sight to see some North American posters taking Europeans to task over they're attitudes to muslim and islam, given the overtly racists attitudes expressed here by a few of those same posters in the run up to, and the immediate aftermath of Iraq war.

Links, plz.

11B4V

You euros have a lot to learn about how to treat people.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 06:48:35 PM

Links, plz.

:lol:

Convenient isn't it. 

Head over to the other thread, and I've another question to pose of our formerly pro-interventionist posters (who were obviously nothing of the sort in the first place).
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 06:49:36 PM

You euros have a lot to learn about how to treat people.

What's Hebrew for BOOM?

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:38:38 PM

Good glad we agree about no going back.

100%  :hug:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:50:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 06:48:35 PM

Links, plz.

:lol:

Convenient isn't it. 

Yeah your criticism is convenient. Nameless Americans saying unspecified things. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.