Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 05:17:09 PM
Here you go, derspiess:

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2015, 01:50:49 AM
Die Zeit quotes a recent poll by the Bertelsmann Foundation who monitor attitudes towards religions. According to their recent survey (taken before the attack in Paris):
- 57% of Germans see Islam as a threat
- 40% feel they're strangers in their own country
- 24% would ban Muslims from immigrating

At the same time, more than half of Germans consider themselves to be tolerant.

Not quite what I was looking for.  Looking for a poll with questions something like "Do you think Muslims generally approve of terrorism?"

One can have negative feelings about the numbers of Muslim immigrants or changes/issues related to those numbers without thinking Muslims heart terrorism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 04:10:53 PM
think of what would happen to gays in America, if there was a revolution and right-wing "Tea Party" fundies seized power. .

They wouldn't be able to get married anymore, but would pay lower income taxes.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 05:41:08 PM
Here you go, derspiess:

Die Zeit quotes a recent poll by the Bertelsmann Foundation who monitor attitudes towards religions. According to their recent survey (taken before the attack in Paris):

Not quite what I was looking for.  Looking for a poll with questions something like "Do you think Muslims generally approve of terrorism?"

One can have negative feelings about the numbers of Muslim immigrants or changes/issues related to those numbers without thinking Muslims heart terrorism.

On the flipside, we've had several people here, Drakken being the most recent - who have said that Muslims need to come out denouncing every single act of terror that is claimed to stem from Islam. That otherwise they are helping to perpetuate the violence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Here you go, derspiess:

You mean, like the polls cited by the Christian Science Monitor article?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

And, which is why I have an issue with it, statements like Farage's which blamed this attack on multiculturalism and said there's a 'fifth column with our passports' in our country doesn't seem to draw any distinction between Islam, Islamism and Muslims.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 05:41:41 PM
think of what would happen to gays in America, if there was a revolution and right-wing "Tea Party" fundies seized power. .

Cant agree with that. The train has already left the station on that one. No going back.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:44:50 PM

Are you talking about the question about associating Islam and Muslim with terrorism?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:02:37 PM
I don't undestand.

Does the world think all Muslims are with the terrorists?  I think not, so I think the cartoonist is full of shit.

What is your opinion on Islam and Muslims?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 05:43:43 PM
Here you go, derspiess:

On the flipside, we've had several people here, Drakken being the most recent - who have said that Muslims need to come out denouncing every single act of terror that is claimed to stem from Islam. That otherwise they are helping to perpetuate the violence.

Beyond that, though, I largely agree with what Jacob said in post #238--I believe that Yi is incorrect in his belief that most people in the West really make any meaningful distinction between Islam and Muslims (and FWIW, I don't think most people make a meaningful distinction between Christianity and Christians, or between Judaism and Jews either--sure, people understand that one is the name of a religion, and the other a term for followers of that religion, but in most contexts I don't think that makes much difference to most people);  and that at best it's a minor quibble that doesn't warrant a "piece of shit" response to the cartoon.  I think that such a response shows, at best, a rather bizarre view of how political cartoons work--exaggeration is one of the biggest weapons a political cartoonist has in his arsenal, and using it hardly makes one a piece of shit.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Islam is a threat.  All Muslims are with the terrorists.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:44:50 PM

Sifting through that now.  Not seeing anything specifically cited that meets my criteria. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 05:46:57 PM
Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 05:41:41 PM

Cant agree with that. The train has already left the station on that one. No going back.

So the only affect would be that they would pay lower income taxes, then. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:53:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Islam is a threat.  All Muslims are with the terrorists.

Okay... I didn't expect you to be so... candid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 05:54:38 PMSo the only affect would be that they would pay lower income taxes, then.

Assuming the Tea Party is willing to take direction from 11B4V and his ilk.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 05:45:46 PM
And, which is why I have an issue with it, statements like Farage's which blamed this attack on multiculturalism and said there's a 'fifth column with our passports' in our country doesn't seem to draw any distinction between Islam, Islamism and Muslims.

Sounds like he and Grallon have a lot in common.

Hell, there have been at least a couple of Langusihites who have said that we are "Islamicist Apologists". Apparently, you don't even have to be Muslim to be the enemy.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius