And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:00:31 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 04:58:45 PM
You don't think there are Muslims who feel that non-Muslims view them as enemies and as abettors of radical Islamicist terrorists, while at the same time the radical Islamicist terrorists view them as enemies and as abettors of the secular values of the infidels?

Or did you get something else from the drawing?

What I got from the drawing is that feeling is accurate.

I don't undestand.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 04:43:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 04:35:11 PM
I prefer my Satans to be awesome and faustian, not dispensed by a bored, tattooed barrista.  :(

But see, that's precisely where you'd find him, because that's where you'd least expect him.  Because he deals in deceit and subterfuge.  And whipped cream.  With little chocolate shavings on top.

It's not chocolate.  :secret:

I rest my case.  :goodboy:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:02:37 PM
I don't undestand.

Does the world think all Muslims are with the terrorists?  I think not, so I think the cartoonist is full of shit.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:02:37 PM
I don't undestand.

Does the world think all Muslims are with the terrorists?  I think not, so I think the cartoonist is full of shit.

Does the whole world think all Muslims are with the terrorists? No.

Is there a sizable number of people in the West who think that a big part of the problem is that the average Muslim approves of terrorism? Sure.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:04:27 PM

That's a strangely absolutist and literal way to read cartoons. By that metric most of the the cartoons we've seen from Charlie Hebdo and in response to the shootings are full of shit too.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 05:08:43 PM
Is there a sizable number of people in the West who think that a big part of the problem is that the average Muslim approves of terrorism? Sure.

I'd like to see polling data on that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 05:15:54 PM

I'd like to see polling data on that.

There was some earlier in this thread (or the other related one).

Jacob

Here you go, derspiess:

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2015, 01:50:49 AM
Die Zeit quotes a recent poll by the Bertelsmann Foundation who monitor attitudes towards religions. According to their recent survey (taken before the attack in Paris):
- 57% of Germans see Islam as a threat
- 40% feel they're strangers in their own country
- 24% would ban Muslims from immigrating

At the same time, more than half of Germans consider themselves to be tolerant.

Sheilbh

See the polling in Germany from the Bertelsmann Foundation and comments from Nigel 'fifth columnist' Farage.

In addition to the ones cited by Jacob there 61% see Islam as having no place in the West, up from 52% in 2012.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Is the globe an accurate representation of "a sizable number of people in the West," and where is the evidence that a sizable number of people feel this way?  The poll Jacob cited talks about Islam, not all Muslims.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:29:35 PM
Is the globe an accurate representation of "a sizable number of people in the West," and where is the evidence that a sizable number of people feel this way?  The poll Jacob cited talks about Islam, not all Muslims.

You think people tend to distinguish between Islam and Muslims?

Beyond that, your primary beef with the cartoon is that the globe is the wrong symbol to represent the part of the world that thinks ordinary Muslims are somehow complicit with radical Islamic terrorists?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 05:32:37 PM

Absolutely.

QuoteBeyond that, your primary beef with the cartoon is that the globe is the wrong symbol to represent the part of the world that thinks ordinary Muslims are somehow complicit with radical Islamic terrorists?

Absolutely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:33:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 05:32:37 PM

Absolutely.

Excellent. We understand each other, which I count as a victory for both of us :)

As well, I will add: I disagree.

Quote from: Admiral Yi
Quote from: JacobBeyond that, your primary beef with the cartoon is that the globe is the wrong symbol to represent the part of the world that thinks ordinary Muslims are somehow complicit with radical Islamic terrorists?

Absolutely.

I think that's a minor quibble at best, which does not at all warrant a "full of shit" IMO.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 05:29:35 PM

From the poll:

"- 24% would ban Muslims from immigrating"

Seems at least some evidence.

According to the Christian Science Monitor:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0223/p09s01-coop.html

QuotePublic opinion surveys in the United States and Europe show that nearly half of Westerners associate Islam with violence and Muslims with terrorists.

Haven't actually read the polls myself, but as the article points out, this result is hardly unexpected.

11B4V

That cartoon is rather insipid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".