News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2015, 12:07:22 AM
Don't remember the food being a problem - you would get hungry after all that exercise, so you'd eat anything.  And the stuff isn't all that bad, really.

It has been a problem for me. :) Maybe this is why I am scrawny though.

Yeah, as I said the plan was to start running again come early spring (it's -20C outside right now, so fuck running).  But any suggestions for a specific program to follow would be appreciated.

It is really hard to suggest something without more details on your general level of fitness and the difficulty of the hike. However, a general program that has worked for me (this would be for cardio):

Monday: Off
Tuesday: Normal Run (at a minimum 20 minutes--this is the threshold improvement really kicks in. If you can't go that long, walk/run)
Wednesday: Normal Run
Thursday: Speed day (interval work, or for me, run fast a short distance after a short warm up run). For me this is an easy day.
Friday: Long run (not a true long run, but at a slower pace than the normal run, and about 60% further)
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Hiking day. This is the most aggressive day of the week, and why you get Saturday and Monday off.

I fit in other exercises, but I'm not sure how applicable they are here. A couple that probably are applicable:
The step up exercises I mentioned earlier
Some sort of core work.

I also do push ups, pull ups, curls, bench press, and a few other exercises three times a week or so, but I'm not so committed but at least it means I'm not completely weak.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2015, 12:12:24 AM

Socks depending on material and make, why not have just two pairs, rinse one in the evening and let it dry on the outside of your backpack all the next day, then rotate.

If it is raining, or there is cool weather, the socks may not dry.

I had an experience once where I was out for 8 days, it rained for all 8 days, sometimes torrentially, and for a lot of time nothing would dry (it was quite cool). For most things, this was okay--clothes went under raingear and I had some spares for the clothes that got wet. But shoes would not dry (they got wet), and socks were immediately wet once I put them in the shoes. Not good.

edit: reflecting some, I may be a bit generous with what to pack. I'm maybe biased towards climbing, which is generally a series of relatively easy days, followed by the difficult summit day. You usually don't need to carry your gear to the summit, so you can be somewhat indulgent carrying gear on the easy days, have clean clothes for summit day, and leave the dirty/extra stuff behind to pick up on the way down.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Just got back from the gym... first time I'd been since New Year's Day and it kicked my ass.  Damn business travel. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Just got back from a little 19 mile bike trip in the countryside to visit a friend, as with Cal, the holiday season has taken a toll on my fitness.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on January 17, 2015, 01:18:44 PM
Just got back from a little 19 mile bike trip in the countryside to visit a friend, as with Cal, the holiday season has taken a toll on my fitness.  <_<

I know, I went into the forest yesterday to mountain bike and I was completely smashed when I got home. It was fun though as it had rained a tonne the day before.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Ran 75k so far this year. I'll try to run 100k per month.
12k in 1:06 yesterday, which is roughly the speed I need to run a half marathon in less than 2h.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on January 17, 2015, 12:16:06 PM
Just got back from the gym... first time I'd been since New Year's Day and it kicked my ass.  Damn business travel. :mad:

Tough going back after 2 weeks. Go back after 3 months and it feels like you're starting over.  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Been to the gym twice this week. Sheilbh: 130 by 30* starts here.

* Probs not. That's too skinny. Current goal's to reacquaint myself with my lungs and heart. Then, get in shape.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

How do you guys measure your heart rate when working out? I just got the Mio Alpha, which seems to work fine. Too bad my crappy old mobile phone doesn't have BTL4 to sync it.

Liep

I got a chest strap that connects with my garmin, it works fine but I rarely use it as it's a bit uncomfortable and I really don't see the point in measuring it as I'm just working out for fun these days.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Scipio

Back in the weightlifting mode. Nothing chaps my ass more than going into the gym and finding the weights strewn about, and the equipment fucked with. Goddamn kids.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Scipio on January 26, 2015, 09:57:03 AM
Back in the weightlifting mode. Nothing chaps my ass more than going into the gym and finding the weights strewn about, and the equipment fucked with. Goddamn kids.
The only thing that annoys me more is when I go to the gym and a bunch of slackjaws are sitting around talking loudly instead of working out.  Go talk about YEW KAY and YEW VELL someone else, you fucking hicks.  Gyms are for working out, not gabbing and distracting me at.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2015, 08:29:37 AM
How do you guys measure your heart rate when working out? I just got the Mio Alpha, which seems to work fine. Too bad my crappy old mobile phone doesn't have BTL4 to sync it.

I do, so I know when I'm slacking and I need to step up. :blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on January 26, 2015, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: Scipio on January 26, 2015, 09:57:03 AM
The only thing that annoys me more is when I go to the gym and a bunch of slackjaws are sitting around talking loudly instead of working out.  Go talk about YEW KAY and YEW VELL someone else, you fucking hicks.  Gyms are for working out, not gabbing and distracting me at.

Agreed.  If they are sitting on something I want to use I just go up and say something like "are you finished with that".  Most of the time they move off.  The odd time they will make a show of putting in one more set before moving off.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2015, 08:29:37 AM
I, every now and then, hold the heart rate thingies on the machine. Want one of the heart or wrist measury things.

Edit: Also went to the gym 4 times last week. Was doing better (and different things) each time with heart-rate at the upper end which is where I want it. Now I have a fucking dreadful cold which means I've not left the house for two days.

May try and return tomorrow :(
Let's bomb Russia!