News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I did walk most of the way home the other day.   The subway station I typically use was temporarily closed because of overcrowding. Totally an odd thing to me (though happens here a fair amount) as I can't imagine any New York station ever closing like that. In fact, I remember entering New York stations where there was a line all the way to the entrance gates.

Anyway, I decided I'd walk a little bit further and catch the bus home. I got on the bus which preceded to just sit in place because of extremely bad traffic. After waiting about 5 minutes, I looked up and saw from where I was it'd take 26 minutes on bus and 37 by foot. Given that we weren't moving decided to walk.

Well I walked for about 15 minutes and noticed there was no more traffic. Hopped on a different iteration of that original bus (which was still stuck far behind and never passed me).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Garbon,

It is helpful to have a trainer at the beginning, for at least some sessions, just to make sure that you are doing your exercises correctly.  Pro tip - a lot of the people in a gym are not using proper technique when using weights so copying what you see being done around you isn't the best idea.

Once you feel comfortable with your technique and routine you can then go on your own but check in with a trainer from time to time to adjust your exercise regime as your fitness and strength improve.

lustindarkness

I found a good way to motivate me to run at a good quick pace yesterday. I put in food in the oven and went for my run. :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Quote from: Liep on October 01, 2015, 11:21:27 AM
Some of the tracks are mindless beats, which works well enough when it's loud enough and some are old classics revved up a bit. But when it's a cheap laptop mix with autotune vocals sung in Jutlandish Danish I really can't handle it.  :yucky:

Tried another instructor, much less in the way of eye candy but a much more solid music choice. AC/DC, Rammstein, Van Halen, etc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 07, 2015, 12:15:45 PM
I found a good way to motivate me to run at a good quick pace yesterday. I put in food in the oven and went for my run. :lol:

:lol:

garbon

I'm at nearly 13 miles walk in Lisbon today. I figure I will have hell to pay tomorrow but then again I am wearing my magic nikes.

@CC - yeah I'm thinking of dropping in on my gym's 20 minute courses in weight rooms for that. On the other hand, this isn't my first gym membership. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

That was odd, mongers. :D

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2015, 05:02:39 PM

My mouse is malfunctioning, clicked on the edit and it went for the delete button. 

I was just saying that was a good distance you walked there, more than I could do nowadays.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

My boss told me that I'm old. I told him I'm still clinging to my last month of being in my late 20s. :cool:

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2015, 05:19:17 PM
My boss told me that I'm old. I told him I'm still clinging to my last month of being in my late 20s. :cool:

I remember those days like it was only yest..... more than 20 years ago.  :(

:P

lustindarkness

Good job Berry.  :yeah: :cheers:

My recommendation, don't lose that momentum, go for a walk tomorrow and maybe the day after also. By the third day go back to jogging (more like a shuffle).

Oh, and don't get too drunk celebrating tonight, you are already dehydrated you now.  ;) :beer:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Popped out early this evening and did a not so swift 50 km around the forest roads, still nice autumn weather.  :bowler:

Brezel

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2015, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2015, 05:02:39 PM

My mouse is malfunctioning, clicked on the edit and it went for the delete button. 

I was just saying that was a good distance you walked there, more than I could do nowadays.

You can cycle 400 miles a month but not walk 13?  :yeahright:

Brazen

Did my half marathon on Sunday at a 4:1 run/walk ratio and got round with a smile on my face. The most beautiful course I've ever run, taking in the royal parks, Buckingham Palace etc., and we had unbeatable weather. Cried all over the Alzheimer's Society cheer group around mile 12 when I told them about why I was doing it  :Embarrass:

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on October 13, 2015, 05:24:15 AM
Did my half marathon on Sunday at a 4:1 run/walk ratio and got round with a smile on my face. The most beautiful course I've ever run, taking in the royal parks, Buckingham Palace etc., and we had unbeatable weather. Cried all over the Alzheimer's Society cheer group around mile 12 when I told them about why I was doing it  :Embarrass:

That is awesome.  :)

I need to run a long race in a major european city. The history nerd factor euphoria combined with a runners high will synergize to produce a really fast time. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014