Making better humans, or rather, making less-bad ones

Started by Ideologue, December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the technological infrastructure was present for public eugenics, would you be okay with it?

Yes
8 (25%)
Yes, but only for truly insuperable diseases, like harlequinism and Tays-Sachs
10 (31.3%)
No, private eugenics has done a great job
8 (25%)
I'm okay with Jaron being sterilized
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 15, 2014, 03:41:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2014, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:40:59 PM
I wonder if homosexuality would be considered an undesirable element as homosexuals are on average more likely to be depressed and suffer STDs.

We've already had this conversation before. For both, it is hard to parse out what is intrinsic to homosexuality itself and what stems from societal pressures placed on homosexuals.

I can't believe anyone still falls for Raz's trolling. :D

No troll, but the cult of gay pride refuses to acknowledge that it's possible the condition of homosexuality has certain medical downsides and instead take the somewhat belligerent attitude of, "Well that's every one else's problem, not mine!".  Which is sort of like the black power movement blaming sickle cell anemia on racism.  I am simply suggesting that if homosexuality is prenatal then it is logical it should be able to be detected in the womb.  If that's true, then someone will find a way to alter sexuality before a person is born.  In such a situation, medical ethics would demand a parent be informed of that choice.  Since statistically parents are more likely to be straight then gay, even higher then the ratio of straights to gays in the general population the number of gay children being born is likely to decrease dramatically.  There is little reason for a straight parent to chose a sexuality for their child that different then their own, and is lots of reasons not to do so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 15, 2014, 03:41:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2014, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:40:59 PM
I wonder if homosexuality would be considered an undesirable element as homosexuals are on average more likely to be depressed and suffer STDs.

We've already had this conversation before. For both, it is hard to parse out what is intrinsic to homosexuality itself and what stems from societal pressures placed on homosexuals.

I can't believe anyone still falls for Raz's trolling. :D

No troll, but the cult of gay pride refuses to acknowledge that it's possible the condition of homosexuality has certain medical downsides and instead take the somewhat belligerent attitude of, "Well that's every one else's problem, not mine!".  Which is sort of like the black power movement blaming sickle cell anemia on racism.  I am simply suggesting that if homosexuality is prenatal then it is logical it should be able to be detected in the womb.  If that's true, then someone will find a way to alter sexuality before a person is born.  In such a situation, medical ethics would demand a parent be informed of that choice.  Since statistically parents are more likely to be straight then gay, even higher then the ratio of straights to gays in the general population the number of gay children being born is likely to decrease dramatically.  There is little reason for a straight parent to chose a sexuality for their child that different then their own, and is lots of reasons not to do so.

I see your point, Marti, and my apologies. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The problem with the notion of eugenics is that the public has always been motivated by current fads and moral panics, not by notions of impersonal, objective science like the progenitors of eugenics expected. There is no guarantee that any eugenics rules established would actually prove beneficial for humanity, rather than simply reflecting the transitory desires of the people who happen to have caught the mood of the moment when the rules are put in place.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM
Responses related to my sad-sackery can be directed to me elsewhere.  I know I have no place in any better world.
[...]
Oh, and I suppose it would increase government spending.  Feel free to also discuss aborting shitty babies in a private context, without federal funding.
Curing genetic diseases, I'm ok with it.
Deciding a baby's eyes color while in the womb, giving him 6 fingers, increased intelligence, muscle coordination, etc, I'd be against it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Syt

Considering the names some parents blight their children with, I'm strongly opposed to any kind of eugenics program, public or private.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2014, 11:06:36 PM
I'm not.  I'm really angry at Jake for ignoring the very first thing I said (and probably failing to read any of it) and thereby being a pompous, disingenuous shit.  I want to say mean(er) things back, but I won't.

But since he brought it up: if I'm such a big joke, why should I have been born, Jake?  If I can't manage my life, and you're right, why should I have been given existence when another combination would have been happier?  You don't have an answer, other than platitudes.

Sorry for the negativity.

Sorry... was in a pissy mood when I posted that.

My point is that it's very difficult to distinguish between how you articulate the negativity you feel about your own life and how you articulate your arguments for eugenics, so the eugenics thing really comes across as an extension of your current self-loathing. Also, I'm really unfond of eugenics.

For what it's worth, I think you're managing your life fine other than the apparently fundamental unhappiness.

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2014, 10:53:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2014, 09:49:10 PM
If you can't even figure out how to manage your own life, you sure as fuck shouldn't be making plans about how to run the species. So yeah, take your eugenics and shove 'em.

progressive income tax is stupid

:thumbsup:

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 11:39:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2014, 09:49:10 PM
If you can't even figure out how to manage your own life, you sure as fuck shouldn't be making plans about how to run the species. So yeah, take your eugenics and shove 'em.
Where do you get the idea that Ide can't manage his life from?  Because he doesn't meet your standards of success?  Because he has to struggle and scrape to get by?

Fuck you, you arbitrary cunt.  Where you get of judging some kid trapped in one of the worst places in the western world, I don't know.

:thumbsup:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 15, 2014, 12:37:51 PM
For what it's worth, I think you're managing your life fine other than the apparently fundamental unhappiness.

I don't.  Dummy's buying too many fucking Blu-Rays for movies he'll never watch again, and not socking it away for the inevitable downsizing/layoff/shareholder value/"we're flattening the organization"/unemployment.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2014, 11:54:32 PMHowever, I've been trying to figure out why Jacob gets bent out of shape about, like, practically every idea I've had in the last several years, even though we share many of the same general goals for society.  I think it's because Jake is a for-real liberal humanist, which is nice and not really evil or anything, but it is in contrast to what I stand for, which is an significantly less liberal leftism that recognizes (or, at least, supposes) a general badness in humanity that needs to be either countered or improved in order for society to really get well.  I'm a splitter, Jacob can sometimes come off as offering nothing but platitudes in the face of terrible and ongoing harms, though I know he doesn't mean to and he has a good heart, like most everybody here.

I think he also fears that I'll go, like, full Nazi or something.  I appreciate that he has concern for my soul, but it's not necessary. :)

It's a good question. I think you manage to push my buttons because:

a) I take what you say at face value rather than as trolling;

b) Because you like to take on ideas that have been progressive at one point or another, but at the same time, in my view, have a historical record of causing real and serious misery (like eugenics);

c) Your penchant for grand sweeping statements and idiosyncratic positions reminds me of myself in earlier days, and I think it's pretty normal to swerve between annoyance and indulgence at someone engaging what you perceive as your own mistakes of the past.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 11:39:18 PMWhere do you get the idea that Ide can't manage his life from?

His own constant pissing and moaning?  :huh:

Like I said, objectively speaking I think Ide is doing fine if he was less hard on himself.

QuoteBecause he doesn't meet your standards of success?  Because he has to struggle and scrape to get by?

Fuck you, you arbitrary cunt.  Where you get of judging some kid trapped in one of the worst places in the western world, I don't know.

And fuck you too you pretentious contrarian trollkin :hug:

dps

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM
Responses related to my sad-sackery can be directed to me elsewhere.  I know I have no place in any better world.
[...]
Oh, and I suppose it would increase government spending.  Feel free to also discuss aborting shitty babies in a private context, without federal funding.
Curing genetic diseases, I'm ok with it.

But then you get into the debate over what exactly constitutes a genetic disease or defect.  Raz seems to argue that homosexuality is a genetic defect, whereas in fact we don't even know for certain that it's genetic at all.  And further up the thread, Ide postulated that empathy is determined by genetics.