Making better humans, or rather, making less-bad ones

Started by Ideologue, December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the technological infrastructure was present for public eugenics, would you be okay with it?

Yes
8 (25%)
Yes, but only for truly insuperable diseases, like harlequinism and Tays-Sachs
10 (31.3%)
No, private eugenics has done a great job
8 (25%)
I'm okay with Jaron being sterilized
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2014, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 02:47:28 PM
I'll support you, Ide.

:)

I never understood the Eugenics Wars premise.  If you can engineer superior intelligence, you can engineer superior empathy.  Maybe they decided, rightly, that it was a weakness in individual men and women.
The power of genetics wasn't well understood by the public in the 60s.  Really, it still isn't.  The word 'eugenics' was no doubt used in Khan's backstory because of the relation to Nazism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

The Nazis built roads and rockets.  We still use those. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

CountDeMoney

Not nearly as much as Chaka Khan.  She feels for you.

Razgovory

I wonder if homosexuality would be considered an undesirable element as homosexuals are on average more likely to be depressed and suffer STDs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:40:59 PM
I wonder if homosexuality would be considered an undesirable element as homosexuals are on average more likely to be depressed and suffer STDs.
If it has a genetic component, then it can be selected against, or perhaps cured.  Wouldn't it be nice if the homosexuals just born were the last ones?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

No, because the fashion and furnishings world would suffer.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2014, 05:50:16 PM
It's not like women couldn't step up.  And surely the social benefits would be worth it.

garbon

We've already had this conversation before. For both, it is hard to parse out what is intrinsic to homosexuality itself and what stems from societal pressures placed on homosexuals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 05:59:33 PM
It's not like women couldn't step up.  And surely the social benefits would be worth it.

What, and be left with doilies and "country kitchen" motifs?  Pass.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2014, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 05:59:33 PM
What, and be left with doilies and "country kitchen" motifs?  Pass.
It wasn't like that before we allowed gays to function in society.  We would be fine.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 14, 2014, 05:51:09 AM

A world of upper-class supermen would not be a great place.
When phrased like  that no one would agree, but that was not the question he asked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2014, 06:14:00 PM

We've already had this conversation before. For both, it is hard to parse out what is intrinsic to homosexuality itself and what stems from societal pressures placed on homosexuals.

Why the factors exist are irrelevant.  What is relevant is simply that they are undesirable factors.  Besides, much easier to do a medical procedure then to force every person to like gays better or make gays less slutty.  I had previously suggested that if it homosexuality acquired prenatally, (it's unlikely to be genetic and likely to be hormonal), and this condition could be altered in the womb, that homosexuality would all but disappear, not out of hate but simply from parents wanting children to be like them.  I imagine that within a hundred years gay rights will be irrelevant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Most parents would probably opt for bisexuality, doubling one's chances of finding domestic splendor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)