Making better humans, or rather, making less-bad ones

Started by Ideologue, December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the technological infrastructure was present for public eugenics, would you be okay with it?

Yes
8 (25%)
Yes, but only for truly insuperable diseases, like harlequinism and Tays-Sachs
10 (31.3%)
No, private eugenics has done a great job
8 (25%)
I'm okay with Jaron being sterilized
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 07:39:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2014, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:40:59 PM
I wonder if homosexuality would be considered an undesirable element as homosexuals are on average more likely to be depressed and suffer STDs.

We've already had this conversation before. For both, it is hard to parse out what is intrinsic to homosexuality itself and what stems from societal pressures placed on homosexuals.

Why the factors exist are irrelevant.  What is relevant is simply that they are undesirable factors.  Besides, much easier to do a medical procedure then to force every person to like gays better or make gays less slutty.  I had previously suggested that if it homosexuality acquired prenatally, (it's unlikely to be genetic and likely to be hormonal), and this condition could be altered in the womb, that homosexuality would all but disappear, not out of hate but simply from parents wanting children to be like them.  I imagine that within a hundred years gay rights will be irrelevant.

Yeah and this conversation is going along just like it did last time, where you fall into the same lines of what is the expedient path.

I'm out. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2014, 07:59:21 PM
Most parents would probably opt for bisexuality, doubling one's chances of finding domestic splendor.

Nah. Altruism is an evolutionary dead end.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

If you can't even figure out how to manage your own life, you sure as fuck shouldn't be making plans about how to run the species. So yeah, take your eugenics and shove 'em.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2014, 09:49:10 PM
If you can't even figure out how to manage your own life, you sure as fuck shouldn't be making plans about how to run the species. So yeah, take your eugenics and shove 'em.

:thumbsup:

Siege

Don't forget, I was the first one to mention the Technological Singularity here in Languish.
Give me a high five if you have seen Transcendance with Johnny Depp, or Automata with Antonio Banderas.
Also, Her with Natalia Romanov or The Machine with...some British people.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

Right.  I also believe in a progressive income tax.  Therefore, since I hold the proposition, progressive income tax is stupid etc.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I'm not.  I'm really angry at Jake for ignoring the very first thing I said (and probably failing to read any of it) and thereby being a pompous, disingenuous shit.  I want to say mean(er) things back, but I won't.

But since he brought it up: if I'm such a big joke, why should I have been born, Jake?  If I can't manage my life, and you're right, why should I have been given existence when another combination would have been happier?  You don't have an answer, other than platitudes.

Sorry for the negativity.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

See, and depression is also stigmatized by society.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Where do you get the idea that Ide can't manage his life from?  Because he doesn't meet your standards of success?  Because he has to struggle and scrape to get by?

Fuck you, you arbitrary cunt.  Where you get of judging some kid trapped in one of the worst places in the western world, I don't know. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2014, 11:39:18 PM
Fuck you, you arbitrary cunt.  Where you get of judging some kid trapped in one of the worst places in the western world, I don't know.

He has as much or more right to judge Ide as you do to judge South Carolina. At least he knows Ide.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

SC does kinda suck, tho.

Anyway, in fairness, many of those reports come from me. -_-  I don't manage my life very well except in the sense I've stayed out of jail and have mostly been able to afford my keep.

However, I've been trying to figure out why Jacob gets bent out of shape about, like, practically every idea I've had in the last several years, even though we share many of the same general goals for society.  I think it's because Jake is a for-real liberal humanist, which is nice and not really evil or anything, but it is in contrast to what I stand for, which is an significantly less liberal leftism that recognizes (or, at least, supposes) a general badness in humanity that needs to be either countered or improved in order for society to really get well.  I'm a splitter, Jacob can sometimes come off as offering nothing but platitudes in the face of terrible and ongoing harms, though I know he doesn't mean to and he has a good heart, like most everybody here.

I think he also fears that I'll go, like, full Nazi or something.  I appreciate that he has concern for my soul, but it's not necessary. :)
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

He's Scandi-Canuck, man.  He's twice the wattage of your usual Balls of Light.  :P