News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 02:17:02 PM
I'm also unsure how support of a transparency society and animal rights mesh with resentment.

Those are examples of "goofy shit lefties like". The resentment hypothesis is not mine.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Indeed. You're not engaged in silly reductionism/faxtional infighting.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 02:17:02 PM
I'm also unsure how support of a transparency society and animal rights mesh with resentment.

You are alienated from the society in which you were raised and this provides you an alternative community. Also, a girl convinced you. See that John Goodman's character in the Big Lebowski and the sabbath.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Really don't think a pathological lying sociopath should be talking about anything regarding alienation from a society.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 02:36:59 PM
Really don't think a pathological lying sociopath should be talking about anything regarding alienation from a society.

This is fun! First we deconstruct Ide, then you want to deconstruct me, now is it time to deconstruct you?  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.

It's called priortization of limited resources.
No executive adminstration has succeeded in controlling illegal immigration.  So the choice is either between trying to enforce the law poorly and haphazardly against all or setting priorities.

I've said it before - Ide just does not understand leftism. Leftism is about inclusion and what is called "mercy" (as opposed to "justice") in Jewish theology. On this basis, amnesty for illegal immigrants is clearly a leftist choice.

Of course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

I honestly don't know what you are on about with the Justice and Mercy thing.  You are right about Ide, though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on November 19, 2014, 02:57:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 02:36:59 PM

This is fun! First we deconstruct Ide, then you want to deconstruct me, now is it time to deconstruct you?  :)

Wouldn't be that hard.  Just use what he said about you and take out the lying part.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Personally I've found deconstructing people messy and unhygienic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2014, 03:04:29 PM

Perhaps you're not using the right method.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2014, 03:04:29 PM

"Decontractucting" is supposed to be a metaphor, Raz. :console:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 02:21:24 PM
I respectfully disagree as to the first assertion.

Sorry, that was an incomplete sentence.  It should have read, "The guy gets plenty of sex compared to me."  :P
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2014, 02:59:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.

It's called priortization of limited resources.
No executive adminstration has succeeded in controlling illegal immigration.  So the choice is either between trying to enforce the law poorly and haphazardly against all or setting priorities.

I've said it before - Ide just does not understand leftism. Leftism is about inclusion and what is called "mercy" (as opposed to "justice") in Jewish theology. On this basis, amnesty for illegal immigrants is clearly a leftist choice.

Of course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

I honestly don't know what you are on about with the Justice and Mercy thing.  You are right about Ide, though.

Well, it was said that there were two pillars at the entrance to the Temple of Salomon - Yakin and Boaz - Justice and Mercy.

Justice is about giving everyone his or her due, about retribution and just reward or punishment, without any consideration for empathy or sympathy.  It is the Old Testament God. It is Lawful Neutral.

Mercy is about forgiveness, turning the other cheek, answering evil with good. It is Jesus Christ. It is Chaotic Good.

Conservatives consistently value the former while Liberals value the latter.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

That is a bid odd coming from you, but it is an interesting perspective.  I don't see them as two extremes, in fact I seem them as compatible.  For instance a man who beats his wife should be prosecuted.  It is not a mercy to let him go (at least not to his wife). While incarcerated we should try to reform him, and if he shows genuine reform should be released early.  I think both Mercy and Justice are both served in such a situation.

Incidentally, I always play lawful neutral.

MadImmortalMan

When used together they mitigate each other. They are opposites.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers