News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.
I can't think of a reason beyond identity politics why the left would oppose it :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 05:06:55 PM
See, I'm surprised he can issue a Social Security card to whomever he wants.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have specific people picked out.  But unfortunately for the America he is utterly destroying with a single stroke of his pen, one needs a SSN in order to pay taxes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:08:58 PM
I can't think of a reason beyond identity politics why the left would oppose it :mellow:

Drives down wages, competition for jobs.

Fun fact: Caesar Chavez ratted out illegals.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 05:10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have specific people picked out.  But unfortunately for the America he is utterly destroying with a single stroke of his pen, one needs a SSN in order to pay taxes.

No you don't.  You need a Taxpayer Identification Number.  Otherwise, people here on work visas would not be able to pay their taxes.

Ideologue

Because it introduces a difficult to control, potentially degrading variable via a labor black market to the finetuned economy, and also brings more people into an already full closed ecology. Our wages are stagnant, natives compete against criminals, and we're too full. The left response to immigration in a syatem of nations is not "The morw the merrier." And Eurocanadians can eat it, since they'd deport my ass in a heartbeat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 05:13:13 PM
Whose wages? Competition with whom?

'They' are driving down 'our' wages, or competing for 'our' jobs. I'm not seeing a lack of identity politics here.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 18, 2014, 05:17:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 05:10:46 PM

No you don't.  You need a Taxpayer Identification Number.  Otherwise, people here on work visas would not be able to pay their taxes.

Great, THANKS OBAMA

Ideologue

System.of nations as opposed to one world govt, btw.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.

And the countries sending the immigrants aren't even more crowded?

Nationalism is typically associated with the right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:18:00 PM

That guy over there.  And that other guy too.

Quote'They' are driving down 'our' wages, or competing for 'our' jobs. I'm not seeing a lack of identity politics here.

You're defining identity politics so broadly it has lost meaning.

CountDeMoney

'They' are driving down 'our' wages, or competing for 'our' jobs. I'm not seeing a lack of identity politics here.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1c4_1288222548

derspiess

:bleeding:  I guess we should never differentiate between citizens and non-citizens, then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

"Citizens and legal.immigrants" isn't much of an identity.

The fastest growing sector viz jobs is crap service economy. Where competition with illegally working illegal immigrants is fiercest. There is no human right to participate in a foreign economy. That's neoliberal thinking.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
Because it introduces a difficult to control, potentially degrading variable via a labor black market to the finetuned economy, and also brings more people into an already full closed ecology. Our wages are stagnant, natives compete against criminals, and we're too full. The left response to immigration in a syatem of nations is not "The morw the merrier." And Eurocanadians can eat it, since they'd deport my ass in a heartbeat.
One easy way to get rid of a black market is to make it easier to operate in the daylight. They're here. They're not going away. The numbers coming each year are shrinking. Now you can wait to deport them all and, in the meantime, let them work in a black market 'downgrading' your economy and themselves suffering from the insecurity of illegal work, or let them work, smash the black market, prosecute the people who exploit them and let working people have the protection they deserve.

Wages aren't stagnating because of immigrants they're stagnating because corporate America's sitting on historically unprecedented cash reserves. They're not investing and they're not paying their staff more. They're stagnating because too much gain in productivity is being made by squeezing the workforce rather than other avenues. Arguably pay structure could be part of it. Because managers get their bonuses and the rest in stocks, so they've got skin in the game, of course it's better if the company's got lots of cash and can dish out some hefty dividends. That's what the market and their pay packet demand. This isn't just a US problem but to blame immigration seems narrow minded and as identity driven as anything else.

If you've got to get your pitchfork out and vent your nativism probably the only immigrant who deserves any sort of ire is Christine Lagarde :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2014, 05:23:56 PM

:bleeding:  I guess we should never differentiate between citizens and non-citizens, then?

I would consider Nativism a form of identity politics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017