News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So hey, Obama is apparently set to issue an executive order granting deportation deferrals and work permits to illegal immigrants who have been in the US for five years and who have kids who are legal residents/ citizens. Estimates apparently put the number at 3.3 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/16/us/obamas-immigration-plan-could-grant-papers-to-millions-at-least-for-now.html

The shape of things to come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM
The shape of things to come?

The Republicans are going to shut down the Federal government in retaliation.

Maximus

CountDeMoney

Yeah, but this way they'll actually have an excuse beyond "just because".

MadImmortalMan

They are terrified of doing that again.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 04:41:08 PM
Yeah, but this way they'll actually have an excuse beyond "just because".
And this way the country gets something out of it.

A more cynical person might suggest that with the current congress the only government we're going to have for the next two years is by presidential fiat.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on November 18, 2014, 04:44:38 PM
And this way the country gets something out of it.

A more cynical person might suggest that with the current congress the only government we're going to have for the next two years is by presidential fiat.

Not creating new legislation and spending programs is not the same thing as not having a government.

I'm a little surprised this is within the scope of executive orders.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2014, 04:42:17 PM
They are terrified of doing that again.
Some are. I think there's actually more appetite for it among others than last time.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 04:51:18 PM
I'm a little surprised this is within the scope of executive orders.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement is under the executive branch, and such things are deportation deferrals and work permits are procedural. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 04:57:49 PM
Immigration and Customs Enforcement is under the executive branch, and such things are deportation deferrals and work permits are procedural.

Everything is under the executive branch.  I'm still a little surprised he doesn't need legislation to issue work permits.

Ideologue

I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 04:59:50 PM
I'm still a little surprised he doesn't need legislation to issue work permits.

QuoteMany immigrants will also receive work permits, which will give them Social Security numbers and allow them to work legally under their own names and travel within the United States, although not abroad. In some states, they will be able to get driver's licenses and professional certificates.

Doesn't sound like he's altering work permits in any fundamental way that would require legislation, merely issuing more.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 05:04:46 PM
Doesn't sound like he's altering work permits in any fundamental way that would require legislation, merely issuing more.

See, I'm surprised he can issue a Social Security card to whomever he wants.

Ideologue

I'll take another one if they're just giving them away.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 05:06:55 PM
See, I'm surprised he can issue a Social Security card to whomever he wants.
I'd be amazed if that wasn't the sort of thing the legislature gave authority to the executive to do.

Anyway details for the surprised:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/11/18/getting-back-to-basics-in-the-raging-debate-over-deportations/
Let's bomb Russia!