News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Now, S, I'm not blind to the advantages of normalizing them vis a vis nothing.

My preferred solution is blanket amnesty and a mined, fortified, impassable border. Until such time as nations dissolve, anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 05:22:59 PM
You're defining identity politics so broadly it has lost meaning.
Nonsense. This is the identity politics of the populist right in Europe.

Which isn't to say it's not valid, or important, or worth considering but we should see it for what it is.

Quote:bleeding:  I guess we should never differentiate between citizens and non-citizens, then?
From a left-wing perspective I'm not sure there's a great deal of point in it, no.

QuoteThe fastest growing sector viz jobs is crap service economy. Where competition with illegally working illegal immigrants is fiercest. There is no human right to participate in a foreign economy. That's neoliberal thinking.
Tony Blair's right, which is rare nowadays, the big divide in politics is between those who want open societies and those who want closed ones. If that's neo-liberal then fine. But I'm far more comfortable with a left-wing that wants to improve crap jobs and the conditions of even illegal immigrants than one that thinks the answer is deporting them, running the national economy like a closed shop and trying to turn the clock back 60 years.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2014, 05:28:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2014, 05:23:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:18:00 PM
'They' are driving down 'our' wages, or competing for 'our' jobs. I'm not seeing a lack of identity politics here.

:bleeding:  I guess we should never differentiate between citizens and non-citizens, then?

I would consider Nativism a form of identity politics.

If it's really Nativism, yeah.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:25:04 PM
One easy way to get rid of a black market is to make it easier to operate in the daylight. They're here. They're not going away. The numbers coming each year are shrinking. Now you can wait to deport them all and, in the meantime, let them work in a black market 'downgrading' your economy and themselves suffering from the insecurity of illegal work, or let them work, smash the black market, prosecute the people who exploit them and let working people have the protection they deserve.

You mean go after the businesses that employ illegal immigrants? Like massive agricultural interests, huge construction firms, resorts and the wealthy who hire them as housekeepers and nannies?

QuoteWages aren't stagnating because of immigrants they're stagnating because corporate America's sitting on historically unprecedented cash reserves. They're not investing and they're not paying their staff more. They're stagnating because too much gain in productivity is being made by squeezing the workforce rather than other avenues.

That sounds suspiciously like Maximizing Profits and Minimizing Costs, and as Yi has pointed out in the past, there's more to American capitalism than that.  He won't tell you what it is, but it's there somewhere.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2014, 05:33:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2014, 05:28:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2014, 05:23:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:18:00 PM
'They' are driving down 'our' wages, or competing for 'our' jobs. I'm not seeing a lack of identity politics here.

:bleeding:  I guess we should never differentiate between citizens and non-citizens, then?

I would consider Nativism a form of identity politics.

If it's really Nativism, yeah.

If it wasn't nativism we wouldn't have other issues running along side it, such as "English as the only Language".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 05:31:31 PM
Nonsense. This is the identity politics of the populist right in Europe.

Which isn't to say it's not valid, or important, or worth considering but we should see it for what it is.

I guess you've repeated it enough times now that it must be true.

QuoteFrom a left-wing perspective I'm not sure there's a great deal of point in it, no.

There has always been and always will be tension in leftism between fraternal solidarity with all working men and women and looking out for number 1.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Good.  Now Canada can use this as an opportunity to develop things like ports.

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2014, 06:25:54 PM
The Keystone vote just failed.

Huh? I thought the Republicans would pass it. How did that happen?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2014, 07:32:50 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2014, 06:25:54 PM
The Keystone vote just failed.

Not enough dems to get to 60 votes.

Also, eject all mexicans. Except the ones mowing my lawn.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I imagine it failed in the Democratic controlled Senate.

Ed Anger

If I was Mary Landrieu, I'd cuss on the floor of the senate and start spilling secrets of her fellow Dems.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2014, 07:37:39 PM

I imagine it failed in the Democratic controlled Senate.

Didn't the Republicans take over the Senate? Oh... I guess they're not seated until... 2015?

What prevents the bill from being passed by the GOP senate?

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:29:07 PM
Now, S, I'm not blind to the advantages of normalizing them vis a vis nothing.

My preferred solution is blanket amnesty and a mined, fortified, impassable border. Until such time as nations dissolve, anyway.

Wow.  Not surprisingly, my position is the opposite.  I favor relatively open borders, but no amnesty for those here illegally.

And yes, I'm aware that as a practical matter we're probably going to have to give amnesty to illegals (again) but I just can't support it.  Awarding people for breaking the law is just wrong.