News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2014, 08:03:15 PM
What prevents the bill from being passed by the GOP senate?

Possibly a Democratic filibuster, although my sense is this was a nonbinding show vote.

MadImmortalMan

We'll have to see if it helped Mary anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2014, 07:32:50 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2014, 06:25:54 PM
The Keystone vote just failed.

Huh? I thought the Republicans would pass it. How did that happen?

Failed by one vote, one Dem vote. All Repubs voted for it. Next year when the Repubs take over the Senate it'll have a better chance of passing and possibly over-riding a Presidential veto, as perhaps more Dems will vote for it rather than face voters who are largely in favor of it.

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2014, 08:07:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:29:07 PM
Now, S, I'm not blind to the advantages of normalizing them vis a vis nothing.

My preferred solution is blanket amnesty and a mined, fortified, impassable border. Until such time as nations dissolve, anyway.

Wow.  Not surprisingly, my position is the opposite.  I favor relatively open borders, but no amnesty for those here illegally.

And yes, I'm aware that as a practical matter we're probably going to have to give amnesty to illegals (again) but I just can't support it.  Awarding people for breaking the law is just wrong.

I don't really like blanket amnesty, but for once I'm trying to be realistic.  It's like trying to support Prohibition at this point.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.

It's called priortization of limited resources.
No executive adminstration has succeeded in controlling illegal immigration.  So the choice is either between trying to enforce the law poorly and haphazardly against all or setting priorities. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

I got an SSN just by doing work study at Columbia U, it can't be such a big deal to issue them.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2014, 08:18:31 PM
She's gotten a bit chunkier.

I don't recall her ever being thin, though. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.

No executive adminstration has succeeded in controlling illegal immigration.  So the choice is either between trying to enforce the law poorly and haphazardly against all or setting priorities.

Prioritization is one thing.  UP here while several things are priorities, you can of course figure out which laws are not, and have minimal resources put into enforcement.

But that's still miles different from publically announcing "we will not enforce X law".  It seems to me you can set priorities, accept that certain laws will only be prosecuted poorly and haphazardly, and not engender the kind of disrespect for the rule of law that announcing a given law will not be enforced would lead to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2014, 11:33:57 AM
I got an SSN just by doing work study at Columbia U, it can't be such a big deal to issue them.

AFAIK there are already regs in place about what work can be done by foreigners on a student visa.  I imagine there aren't similar regs about the work that can be done by foreigners on a no visa.

Martinus

I've said it before - Ide just does not understand leftism. Leftism is about inclusion and what is called "mercy" (as opposed to "justice") in Jewish theology. On this basis, amnesty for illegal immigrants is clearly a leftist choice.

Of course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2014, 11:39:36 AM
But that's still miles different from publically announcing "we will not enforce X law". 

I haven't read the proposal.  But it doesn't sound like he is doing that.  It sounds like he is saying the illegals have to come in and basically eat a deport order, but that he will then suspend prosecuting the deportation so long as certain conditions are satisfied. 

It doesn't look a lot different from prosecutorial discretion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2014, 11:39:36 AM

Prioritization is one thing.  UP here while several things are priorities, you can of course figure out which laws are not, and have minimal resources put into enforcement.

But that's still miles different from publically announcing "we will not enforce X law".  It seems to me you can set priorities, accept that certain laws will only be prosecuted poorly and haphazardly, and not engender the kind of disrespect for the rule of law that announcing a given law will not be enforced would lead to.

I can understand that viewpoint.

But politics are about the possible.

And we all know that what is really needed in the US is comprehensive and rational immigration reform along with some kind of reasonable decisions about how to handle current illegal immigrants. And that ought to be done via Congress.

But Congress is full of political hacks who don't care about actually getting anything done, so that isn't an option.

So this is the next best alternative. It isn't a good alternative, by any means. But we can thank the Tea Party numbnuts for that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 11:40:29 AM

AFAIK there are already regs in place about what work can be done by foreigners on a student visa.  I imagine there aren't similar regs about the work that can be done by foreigners on a no visa.

What I mean is that I didn't even have a work permit (just a student visa), so I presume the regulatory hurdle is rather low.

CountDeMoney

You're European, and therefore do not pose a threat to the leaf blower industry like Mexicans do.