News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteDespite the rebuke he received in the elections, Mr. Obama has responded defiantly to Republicans warning him not to act on his own.

"My executive actions not only do not prevent them from passing a law that supersedes those actions," he said at a news conference on Nov. 5, "but they should be a spur for them to actually try to get something done."

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2014, 03:05:49 PM
Hang on, let me go check Fox News and I will get back to you on my opinion...

Man, Fox News must really have a lot of material on this. I was hoping you'd have reported back on this by now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 21, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
But isn't issuing/ not issuing permits of whatever kind, within the bounds of the law, exactly what the executive is supposed to do?

Sure.  And it goes further than prosecutorial discretion.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2014, 03:29:42 PM
The issuance of work permits seems to go a bit further than opting not to prosecute immigration offenders.

But to find it whether it is legal you would need to look to the code. 
The prohibition on unlawful employment of aliens uses the definition "unauthorized alien"
And unauthorized alien is then defined to include all aliens unless either:
1) the alien is a lawful permanent resident
2) the alien is otherwise authorized for employment under the INA or by the Attorney General

It certainly looks like the AG is delegated power to authorize employment of otherwise ineligible aliens.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 21, 2014, 03:42:45 PM
But to find it whether it is legal you would need to look to the code. 
The prohibition on unlawful employment of aliens uses the definition "unauthorized alien"
And unauthorized alien is then defined to include all aliens unless either:
1) the alien is a lawful permanent resident
2) the alien is otherwise authorized for employment under the INA or by the Attorney General

It certainly looks like the AG is delegated power to authorize employment of otherwise ineligible aliens.

So it goes shorter, or possibly just as far, as prosecutorial discretion, but not further?

Admiral Yi

It has nothing to do with prosecutorial discretion.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2014, 03:50:10 PM
It has nothing to do with prosecutorial discretion.

:huh:

Weren't you the one who brought it up?

Ed Anger

Not enough rounding up and summary executions of illegals for me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Sure, Colonel Shuffle.  Because those leaves in your yard are going to blow themselves.  Asshole.

Ed Anger

I'll give you two shiny quarters to lovingly lick my taint.

CountDeMoney

Why, when your illegal nanny does it for just one.

Ed Anger

Your information is as out of date as a Abwehr intelligence report.

CountDeMoney

Ah, no salsa, I forgot.  Buttering up the croissant instead for your continental breakfast.