News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Thread About US Politics

Started by Jacob, November 18, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AMOf course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

That does seem to be the case, yes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2014, 11:59:03 AM
What I mean is that I didn't even have a work permit (just a student visa), so I presume the regulatory hurdle is rather low.

My point was that the legislation on the student visa already contains a limited opportunity to work. 

Jacob

Came across this blog the other day:
QuoteFew things are as dangerous to a long term strategy as a short-term victory. Republicans this week scored the kind of win that sets one up for spectacular, catastrophic failure and no one is talking about it.

It's a blog by a GOP guy who, I think is more of the Berkut/ grumbler/ 'American moderate' type of Republican but who still belongs to the party. I figure the Hansmeisters and Spicys of the world would consider him a RINO.

Either way, I'm curious what you folks think of his analysis - the the recent GOP victory in the midterms is essentially Pyrrhic. If it was from a Democrat aligned site, I'd consider it optimism, but this an inside POV. So yeah... thoughts?

The rest of the blog: http://blog.chron.com/goplifer/2014/11/the-missing-story-of-the-2014-election/#28114101=0

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2014, 11:59:03 AM
What I mean is that I didn't even have a work permit (just a student visa), so I presume the regulatory hurdle is rather low.

My point was that the legislation on the student visa already contains a limited opportunity to work.

Fair enough.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
Of course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

That's my leftism. Ide's also features having the government watch you undress. And not eating meat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I have no fucking idea at all how de facto legalizing illegal immigration came to be a left cause beyond identity politics. We are too many by about a hundred fifty million already.

It's called priortization of limited resources.
No executive adminstration has succeeded in controlling illegal immigration.  So the choice is either between trying to enforce the law poorly and haphazardly against all or setting priorities.

I've said it before - Ide just does not understand leftism. Leftism is about inclusion and what is called "mercy" (as opposed to "justice") in Jewish theology. On this basis, amnesty for illegal immigrants is clearly a leftist choice.

Of course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

No true leftisy fallacy, courtesy the Pole.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2014, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AMOf course, Ide's "leftism" essentially boils down to being resentful of people who are more succesful than he is.

That does seem to be the case, yes.

Nonsense. I resent you for lots of reasons.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 01:22:43 PM
Nonsense. I resent you for lots of reasons.

That is very clear. However, your political opinions seem to be primarily motivated by resentment, with spite making up for the rest.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2014, 01:33:34 PM
However, your political opinions seem to be primarily motivated by resentment, with spite making up for the rest.

Resentment and spite are their own rewards.

Ideologue

I was just kidding. I don't resent you. Gee whiz.

Only my economic views really have any resentment attached to them. What resentment drives my support for gay marriage, for example? Resentment towards men that may ill-advisedly marry Martinus? My more illiberal views are based on neither spite nor resentment, but a sincere belief that if implemented they would radically improve most peoples lives. And the main world current of leftism for 100 years has been illiberal. Irrationally, sadly, but that need not be the case.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 01:50:20 PM
What resentment drives my support for gay marriage, for example?

You are resentful toward conservative social mores that you (partially) blame for your sexual frustration.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Seems pretty attenuated, and I resent myself for my sexual frustrations, principally. Secondarily, I blame a lack of eugenics education and the crummy state of prenatal testing in 1982.

I'd have no place in my utopia.

I'm also unsure how support of a transparency society and animal rights mesh with resentment.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on November 19, 2014, 02:02:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 01:50:20 PM
What resentment drives my support for gay marriage, for example?

You are resentful toward conservative social mores that you (partially) blame for your sexual frustration.  :)

The guy gets plenty of sex.  It's the falling-in-love-with-strippers-on-Craigslist part he has a problem with.

Ideologue

I respectfully disagree as to the first assertion.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 19, 2014, 02:21:24 PM
I respectfully disagree as to the first assertion.

Sorry, that was an incomplete sentence.  It should have read, "The guy gets plenty of sex compared to me."  :P