News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ice Bucket Challenge

Started by Barrister, August 13, 2014, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

I challenge grumbler, Countdemoney and Martinus.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

citizen k

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2014, 12:15:26 PM

It is true that the ALSA spends only about half its donations on research, but the organization does have goals that don't include research, and no one spends more on ALS research than the ALSA.

Yes, they also spend a lot on improving the quality of life of those already with ALS.

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on August 24, 2014, 01:55:22 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2014, 12:15:26 PM

It is true that the ALSA spends only about half its donations on research, but the organization does have goals that don't include research, and no one spends more on ALS research than the ALSA.

Yes, they also spend a lot on improving the quality of life of those already with ALS.

The exec summ I saw of their 2013 tax returns didn't show that.  IIRC, and rounding pretty grossly, it showed about $6.5 million in research grants, $1.5 million in salaries, another $1.5 million in travel and education, $2.5 million in fundraising costs (third-party fundraisers), and another $0.5 million in lobbying/lawmaking.  They took in about $12-13 million last year.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

This is what they themselves report:

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

There is also a link there to their IRS docs.  About $5 million for patient support (through their local chapters).

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 24, 2014, 02:12:55 PM
This is what they themselves report:

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

There is also a link there to their IRS docs.  About $5 million for patient support (through their local chapters).

I see the difference.  I was looking at a summary of the tax filings for their HQ, and their chapters do the bulk of the work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: sbr on August 24, 2014, 09:46:22 AM
I'm on my phone so I will save the real response for when I get home, but you must follow Pamela Anderson on Facebook, there ' s a great source of legitimate unbiased news. :lol:

Maybe you could save me the trouble of having to post a real response by pulling your head out of your ass long enough to work the Google machine for a few minutes and educate your self on what your are babbling on about.
Pamela Anderson? :huh:
No. Its just what I heard from a friend. As I said I don't even care enough to check which charity it is for, the name being mentioned in this thread is the first I've seen.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2014, 05:18:45 PM
Quote from: Jaron on August 24, 2014, 12:53:11 PM
I challenge grumbler, Countdemoney and Martinus.

Fuck off.

I challenge all challenger to quietly open their wallets and put some money in a collection tin or set up a bank transfer, and then never tell anyone about it. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on August 24, 2014, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: sbr on August 24, 2014, 09:46:22 AM
I'm on my phone so I will save the real response for when I get home, but you must follow Pamela Anderson on Facebook, there ' s a great source of legitimate unbiased news. :lol:

Maybe you could save me the trouble of having to post a real response by pulling your head out of your ass long enough to work the Google machine for a few minutes and educate your self on what your are babbling on about.
Pamela Anderson? :huh:
No. Its just what I heard from a friend. As I said I don't even care enough to check which charity it is for, the name being mentioned in this thread is the first I've seen.

You care enough to post here to pass along false information and bitch and whine though.  Of course that is all you do anyway, so carry on.

Josquius

Quote from: sbr on August 24, 2014, 07:49:13 PM
You care enough to post here to pass along false information and bitch and whine though.  Of course that is all you do anyway, so carry on.
Do learn to read please.  It is hardly false information that I have heard something.
And the only whining was in agreement with other people.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

A friend of my wife's (who recently added me on Facebook-- I guess my family and hers are technically friends) made some self-righteous post about not doing the ice bucket challenge because poor kids in Africa don't have access to clean water.  She even posted a pic of gluttonous Americans pouring water over their heads while some small African child sips water from a tiny cup  :cry:

This was the same gal who made a long, self-indulgent (and a bit defensive) post one Monday about how she had to ignore everyone's calls and texts the day before because she desperately needed some "me time".  She's 25, single, and lives by herself :huh:

So I guess she's kind of a drama queen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Africans wouldnt have to worry about clean water if they didnt live in Africa. duh.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2014, 01:43:31 PM
A friend of my wife's (who recently added me on Facebook-- I guess my family and hers are technically friends) made some self-righteous post about not doing the ice bucket challenge because poor kids in Africa don't have access to clean water.  She even posted a pic of gluttonous Americans pouring water over their heads while some small African child sips water from a tiny cup  :cry:

This was the same gal who made a long, self-indulgent (and a bit defensive) post one Monday about how she had to ignore everyone's calls and texts the day before because she desperately needed some "me time".  She's 25, single, and lives by herself :huh:

So I guess she's kind of a drama queen.

Digits? I can have some me time on her tits.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Won't you find it rather limiting that she only has two of them?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?