And we're back!

Main Menu

Ice Bucket Challenge

Started by Barrister, August 13, 2014, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2014, 06:56:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2014, 12:16:35 AM
I hate our culture. Any idiot thing becomes cool because you are "doing it for charity".

:rolleyes:
He's just pissed because he didn't think to link tackling criminals to charity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Well, it's a good way to get girls in white shirts wet. It's all for charity, baby.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 22, 2014, 05:35:19 PM
Well, it's a good way to get girls in white shirts wet. It's all for charity, baby.

It has also been a good way to get a lot of men shirtless/naked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I'll eat blueberries for charity.

Martinus

Ok this is more fun. Ian McKellan is going to do the IBC and has challenged Derek Jacobi and Anthony Hopkins to do the same. Expect one of the geezers to kick the bucket. :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2014, 05:59:37 PM

blueberries in the butthole challenge
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Sadly, is this it's conclusion:

Kentucky firefighter critical after ice bucket challenge mishap

By Tim Ghianni

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:49pm EDT

(Reuters) - A Kentucky firefighter was in critical condition Friday, a day after he and three others were injured when an aerial ladder got too close to a power line when their department doused a university band with water in an "ice bucket" fundraiser.

Captain Tony Grider, 41, and firefighter Simon Quinn, 22, from the Campbellsville Fire Department sustained electrocution injuries Thursday morning in a ladder bucket and two other firefighters were hurt coming to their aid, officials said.

Grider was listed in critical condition Friday at University of Louisville Hospital and Quinn as stable, the hospital said.

They were shocked as they were brought down in the bucket after pouring water on the Campbellsville University band in the "ice bucket" challenge to raise funds to fight Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Campbellsville police said in a statement.

"Preliminary investigation information suggests they crossed the 'electric energy thresh hold' of an overhead power line, causing an 'electric arc' to strike both firemen," police said.

Two other firefighters were treated for lesser injuries after electrical current traveled down the extended ladder when they went to help Grider and Quinn, police said.

Campbellsville University held a prayer vigil Thursday night for the firefighters.

rest of item here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/22/us-usa-kentucky-icebucket-idUSKBN0GM1UW20140822
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2014, 05:59:37 PM
Would you eat tiny burritos for charity?  Would you unseat a hamster for the title? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCtdw9FG-s
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

sbr

Caliga

I'm getting tired of seeing these things nonstop in my Facebook feed, especially from people who I know have no intention of making a donation and are just attention whoring. :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2014, 07:05:22 AM
I'm getting tired of seeing these things nonstop in my Facebook feed, especially from people who I know have no intention of making a donation and are just attention whoring. :rolleyes:

My old students in Georgia keep doing it. I'm pretty sure they aren't making donations and they use tiny little buckets to boot.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?