News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ice Bucket Challenge

Started by Barrister, August 13, 2014, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

The ALS association raised ~$23 million last year.  In the 4 weeks since the ice bucket challenge has become a thing they have raised over $40 million.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2014, 07:05:22 AM
I'm getting tired of seeing these things nonstop in my Facebook feed, especially from people who I know have no intention of making a donation and are just attention whoring. :rolleyes:
Yes. It is very attention whorey.

I've heard the charity this thing is all about (I've no idea who) is rather iffy too.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I don't know about that, but the other day my sister in law posts a video doing this challenge thing, and then an hour later my niece insists on doing one also.  I have a feeling she's not about to write a check to some ALS charity. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2014, 04:17:49 PM
I'm getting tired of seeing these things nonstop in my Facebook feed, especially from people who I know have no intention of making a donation and are just attention whoring. :rolleyes:

I've heard the charity this thing is all about (I've no idea who) is rather iffy too.

The ALS Association has an extremely high rating by everyone who gives charities ratings.

Norgy

I look forward to the  moment"Ice Bucket Challenge" meets Florida's "Stand Your Ground" laws.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on August 23, 2014, 04:41:55 PM

The ALS Association has an extremely high rating by everyone who gives charities ratings.

Bah, who would take the word of experts on charities over something Tyr heard somewhere at some point by someone on the internet?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 23, 2014, 11:26:49 AM

My old students in Georgia keep doing it. I'm pretty sure they aren't making donations and they use tiny little buckets to boot.

*Shrug*.  I donated, I used a five gallon bucket. 

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2014, 07:16:00 PMBah, who would take the word of experts on charities over something Tyr heard somewhere at some point by someone on the internet?

Well one of those is an unimpeachable expert as evidenced by a lengthy posting career here, the other is a shady puppet of "Big Charity" and its many ills.

Josquius

They don't test on primates?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on August 24, 2014, 05:24:12 AM

They don't test on primates?

I'm on my phone so I will save the real response for when I get home, but you must follow Pamela Anderson on Facebook, there ' s a great source of legitimate unbiased news. :lol:

Maybe you could save me the trouble of having to post a real response by pulling your head out of your ass long enough to work the Google machine for a few minutes and educate your self on what your are babbling on about.

Syt

I read that there was some backlash from pro lifers, because ALSA supports stem cell research.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2014, 09:53:56 AM
I read that there was some backlash from pro lifers, because ALSA supports stem cell research.  :rolleyes:

Some of the pro-lifers go even further, accusing the ALS Association of deliberately creating embryos in order to destroy them.  I am sure that Alfred Russel can explain why this accusation, though untrue and over the top, is nevertheless valid because it tells us something trivial.

It is true that the ALSA spends only about half its donations on research, but the organization does have goals that don't include research, and no one spends more on ALS research than the ALSA.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!