Main Menu

Ice Bucket Challenge

Started by Barrister, August 13, 2014, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on August 14, 2014, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 03:05:43 PM
My brother did it this afternoon:

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Bengals-Take-On-Ice-Bucket-Challenge/0860bce3-34f8-437d-ad98-7ef9a38dbada

Which one was your brother?

Uh, the white dude :D 

He's all the way on the right*.  The other guys are brothers, just not my brother.

*go ahead, Seedy.  Make the joke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Even without the obvious giveaway I could've guessed it was the one challenging someone from a brewery. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2014, 03:56:08 PM
Wait, it's just a bucket of ice water over your head?  That's weak as shit.

People with ALS can't do it.  Insensitive bastard.

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on August 14, 2014, 04:44:32 PM
Even without the obvious giveaway I could've guessed it was the one challenging someone from a brewery. :P

:D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 04:48:42 PM

Wasn't this whole thing started by someone with ALS who instructed someone (also with ALS) to pour ice water on him?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I dunno.  They bruise like ripe bananas, though.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2014, 05:45:08 PM

Wasn't this whole thing started by someone with ALS who instructed someone (also with ALS) to pour ice water on him?

Apparently it got started somewhat at random, and it's not quite clear how ALS got associated with it (though it's nice that it did, as otherwise it would just be a stupid internet meme instead of actually helpful).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 10:54:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2014, 05:45:08 PM

Apparently it got started somewhat at random, and it's not quite clear how ALS got associated with it (though it's nice that it did, as otherwise it would just be a stupid internet meme instead of actually helpful).

Ah actually this suggests that it was indeed golf but ALS was connected from pretty much near the start in this flare-up:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-the-ice-bucket-challenge-got-its-start-1408049557
QuoteThere have been other ice-bucket challenges, including one by "Today" show anchor Matt Lauer, who did one live on air in July for a hospital.

Then, on July 15, golfer Chris Kennedy did the ice-bucket challenge and challenged his cousin Jeanette Senerchia of Pelham, N.Y., whose husband, Anthony, has had ALS for 11 years. A day later she did the challenge while her 6-year-old daughter filmed her in front of their house.

"Our whole town got involved as well as my husband's older siblings and their friends on Facebook, so it just kind of blew up and it was nonstop," said Ms. Senerchia.

Ms. Senerchia's network on Facebook connected with Pat Quinn, a 31-year-old in Yonkers, N.Y., who was diagnosed with ALS in March 2013. "A friend of mine was a friend of theirs and when they commented on it I saw it," said Mr. Quinn.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 14, 2014, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 03:05:43 PM
My brother did it this afternoon:

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Bengals-Take-On-Ice-Bucket-Challenge/0860bce3-34f8-437d-ad98-7ef9a38dbada

Oh fuck, was that Duane Starks? What is he doing in the Bengals IT department?

Starks is a coaching intern in the minority coaching program thingie.  I think he's only here for the preseason.  It's mostly coaches in the video.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I challenged myself to the Iced Nipples Challenge.  I lost.  And yet, I won. :mellow:
PERKY

Martinus

I hate our culture. Any idiot thing becomes cool because you are "doing it for charity".

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2014, 12:16:35 AM
I hate our culture. Any idiot thing becomes cool because you are "doing it for charity".

:rolleyes:

Viking

Feels like a sleazy way to name-drop.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.