Getting Crap Past the Radar - in G rated movies

Started by Malthus, August 11, 2014, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I see a lot of references to outrage in this thread, but no actual outrage by anyone. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 12:39:26 PM
I see a lot of references to outrage in this thread, but no actual outrage by anyone. 

True.  Not hard to imagine some outrage from the outrage industry, though.  Certain Christian and feminist groups would have a field day if the scene mentioned in the OP were part of a new film.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 12:35:05 PM
Meh, it's all symptomatic of the peculiar US puritanism when it comes to movies, always has been, always will be.  Even these days.  Murder, violence and gore is OK, but titties and bad language?  ZOMG TEH CHILDREN

Shit, I was watching GoodFellas yesterday on AMC during the day.  They showed Tommy's execution in all its bullet-through-the-back-of-the-head glory, but consistently censored the word "shit".  So typical.

Come on, at the time of release I'm positive it had the record of most profanity utterances in an American movie.

EDIT: Unless I'm reading you wrong and you mean that AMC censored it, not that the film itself avoided the word.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 12:35:05 PM
Meh, it's all symptomatic of the peculiar US puritanism when it comes to movies, always has been, always will be.  Even these days.  Murder, violence and gore is OK, but titties and bad language?  ZOMG TEH CHILDREN

Shit, I was watching GoodFellas yesterday on AMC during the day.  They showed Tommy's execution in all its bullet-through-the-back-of-the-head glory, but consistently censored the word "shit".  So typical.
Oh, no.

celedhring

Actually, this reminds me that for the script I'm writing I have already surpassed the "fuck" quota I'm allowed in order to get a PG-13 rating, and thus I need an alternative to "For Fuck's Sake" that doesn't sound ridiculous. Any advice?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 12:39:26 PM

That's because we're Americans.  We're used to squirrelly definitions of what is and is not appropriate for general audiences.  Not a big deal.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:16:17 PM
Actually, this reminds me that for the script I'm writing I have already surpassed the "fuck" quota I'm allowed in order to get a PG-13 rating, and thus I need an alternative to "For Fuck's Sake" that doesn't sound ridiculous. Any advice?

You can always substitute a religious swear word - "for god's sake" was the original, still doesn't sound absurd, and should satisfy the rater.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on August 11, 2014, 10:34:35 AM
I grow up watching anime.  Somehow the Japanese/HK censorship standards for kids are much more relaxed than western nations.  There is no gore or anything sexually explicit, of course.  But character deaths, lots of onscreen blood, genocide, torture, smoking, losing a limb or two, teens or pre-teens in...fancy outfits and showing their underboobs, characters giving long speechs about their racial superiority (in uniforms that are deliberately made to look like Nazi ones, no less) and everybody hailing them as geniuses, prostitution etc are all fair game. 

So I was quite surprised about the western standards.  I was speechless when I found that the shows that I used to watch as a kid were all heavily edited in the west to pretend that all the character deaths didn't happen.

Hey at least the burlesque stripping mouse in the OP was an adult burlesque stripping mouse.  :P

DGuller

"Goshdarnit!"

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 01:25:35 PM

You can always substitute a religious swear word - "for god's sake" was the original, still doesn't sound absurd, and should satisfy the rater.

Thought about that, but wasn't sure whether "for god's sake" was still in regular use. Thanks for the tip.

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2014, 01:33:37 PM
"Goshdarnit!"

Think I'll use this one. Sounds more colloquial. Thanks!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 01:25:35 PM

Or the Christian-approved "for Pete's sake."
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 10:17:21 AM
Also, Star Wars wasn't G rated. It was catering to a different group.
IMDB indicates PG.  Close enough! :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

"For corn's sake" used to* drive my ex insane, so obviously I like to hear it as much as possible.

*It may still but I don't get close enough to her to know.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
Come on, at the time of release I'm positive it had the record of most profanity utterances in an American movie.

EDIT: Unless I'm reading you wrong and you mean that AMC censored it, not that the film itself avoided the word.

Yes, you were reading me wrong.  I sincerely doubt Martin Scorsese would pull a Spielberg and pussify his work.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
that.

AMC and other american channels often censor such words as shit and fuck.  On some movies, you end up with lots of beeps.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.