Getting Crap Past the Radar - in G rated movies

Started by Malthus, August 11, 2014, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I think Japan quite nicely demonstrates that we really don't need to be overly concerned with this kind of thing.  I mean, anime is filled with all kinds of "undesirable content" by western standards - sexualised teenagers, gruesome murders, etc.  We can also safely assume that, for decades, millions of Japanese grow up watching anime.  Is Japan a crime-infested nation full of pedophiles, rapists, murderers etc?  We all know the answer and in fact, Japan is one of the safest places on earth. 

celedhring

I don't know, a Taiwanese friend of mine that lived long time in Japan told me horrible stories on how women are treated in there. She painted it to me as a very chauvinistic culture, and I can see how anime's crazy depiction of women and little girls could derive from that.

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on August 12, 2014, 04:03:19 AM
I don't know, a Taiwanese friend of mine that lived long time in Japan told me horrible stories on how women are treated in there. She painted it to me as a very chauvinistic culture, and I can see how anime's crazy depiction of women and little girls could derive from that.

Anime is actually a relatively recent invention that only became popular from the 70s.  The chauvinistic culture has a much longer history than that. 

Anime is also full of female characters that are as good as or even better than their male counterparts when it comes to fighting.  The popular magical girl genre is all about empowering females to do the real work while the males are usually no where to be seen.  In One Piece, arguably the most popular anime show in Japan, the female lead Nami bosses the largely male crew around on a pirate ship.  The tsundere is probably one of the most common female archtypes in anime, and it depicts females as both aggressive and lovely toward her love interest. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2014, 09:31:31 AM
I loved the Great Mouse Detective when I was a kid.

At any rate, it was a different time back then.  People were less obsessed with protecting children from reality back then, and the 24-hour news cycle and the internet hadn't yet created the perpetual outrage machine.  It's also important to note that the Disney animated musicals weren't the juggernauts that they became after The Little Mermaid, and that Disney wasn't the slick megacorporation we're used to today.  The movie was considered a modest success making 20-odd million dollars, so expectations were lower.  And the movie was authorized and under production in a time when Disney was essentially still run by Disney's son-in-law.  The clean, polished corporate suits would spend the next decade eliminating that sort of thing from the company.

I think that a lot of children's movies have little jokes for the adults, but you'll probably never see another sequence like that in a new film.
Frozen had a beastiality and dick size joke in it and that was abox office juggernaut.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on August 12, 2014, 04:03:19 AM

You know, I'm not 100% sure, either, but I think Mono is being sarcastic. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)