And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Lauren Bacall

Started by mongers, August 12, 2014, 08:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Sad, but what a great character.

US actress Lauren Bacall dies at 89

Her Hollywood career spanned seven decades, with a memorable debut aged 19 opposite her future husband, Humphrey Bogart, in To Have and Have Not.

More than 50 years later, The Mirror Has Two Faces earned her a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1924, she went on to become one of cinema's biggest stars, best known for her husky voice and beauty.

A Twitter account of the Bogart estate, run by Bacall's son, tweeted: "With deep sorrow, yet with great gratitude for her amazing life, we confirm the passing of Lauren Bacall."

She reportedly died after suffering a major stroke at home.

Bogart was awarded an honorary Oscar in 2009 in recognition of "her central place in the golden age of motion pictures".

rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28767401
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Bogie's finally reunited with Baby.

grumbler

One of the great stars.  RIP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

RIP.  One of my favorites.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

A great actress, The Big Sleep is one of my favorite noirs. She lived a long and amazing life, can go without regrets. RIP.

Josephus

She deserves more press than she's getting.  :( Damn Robin Williams.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on August 13, 2014, 11:08:57 AM
She deserves more press than she's getting.

She is not getting a lot of press because she has been out of the public limelight for so long.  Which is how celebrities should go out, decades after they were relevant.  RIP Lauren Bacall.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Useless Assburger Millennial wastetoids these days don't recognize anything in black and white unless it's selected in Instagram.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2014, 11:26:17 AM
Useless Assburger Millennial wastetoids these days don't recognize anything in black and white unless it's selected in Instagram.

And Sav doesn't recognize anything since movies became 'talkies'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Grallon

:lol: Is that what they call themselves?  Can you be more self-centered?

Anyway, a great interview with her in '94 - at 69 looking 20 years younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsR62eNHUdM

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grallon on August 13, 2014, 12:06:51 PM

:lol: Is that what they call themselves?  Can you be more self-centered?

I'm older than they are, I've earned that right.  Kinda like how grumbler bitches about flappers and jazz music.  Circle of Life and all that.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I still don't know how to whistle. :( 

RIP
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2014, 12:37:33 PM
I still don't know how to whistle. :( 

RIP

One of the all time great lines.