And we're back!

Main Menu

When Should Politicians Go On Holiday ?

Started by mongers, August 11, 2014, 05:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2014, 02:37:02 AM
That's kinda what happened to Nixon.
Nixon went on vacation plenty, though.  He had a place in the Florida Keys and a place out in San Clemente too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Presidents (and I assume PMs) are working even when they're vacationing, so I'm not getting worked up about this.  It was a silly criticism of both Bushes and it's just as silly now. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Siege, we need to talk with your wife. Can you get her here?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 12, 2014, 05:35:38 AM
Nixon went on vacation plenty, though.  He had a place in the Florida Keys and a place out in San Clemente too.

He still burned out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

They should schedule vacations during the winter, when less shit happens.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2014, 12:28:10 PM
Presidents (and I assume PMs) are working even when they're vacationing, so I'm not getting worked up about this.  It was a silly criticism of both Bushes and it's just as silly now. 

I did get to learn a lot about Kennebunkport, Maine during the Bush I administration.  That is just a cool name for a vacation town.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on August 12, 2014, 05:35:38 AM

Dont forget his famous vacation in China

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2014, 05:30:31 PM

I did get to learn a lot about Kennebunkport, Maine during the Bush I administration.  That is just a cool name for a vacation town.

You misheard, that was the initiation ceremony they performed there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

But it's different. PMs are directly accountable to Parliament.

The issue isn't that they shouldn't have a holiday, but that if something big happens, like using the forces overseas or a terrorist attack then they should recall Parliament to explain their position and let the Commons debate the issue.

Personally I think it would've been better if Cameron recalled Parliament after the UK started helping out the US in Iraq and then he had another fortnight's holiday than recalling it now and coming home a day early.
Let's bomb Russia!