News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When Should Politicians Go On Holiday ?

Started by mongers, August 11, 2014, 05:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Both Obama and Cameron are now on two week long holidays.

Is this appropriate at a time when the world seems to be processing a lot of history ?

More broadly, when, where and how often should senior politicians and leaders go on holiday ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

citizen k

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 05:22:43 PM
... how often should senior politicians and leaders go on holiday ?

All the time.

CountDeMoney

Is this appropriate at a time when the world seems to be processing a lot of history ?

More broadly, when, where and how often should senior politicians and leaders go on holiday ?

This just in, puddytat:  the world is always processing a lot of history.  It's sort of a non-stop kinda process.  Doesn't mean you can't catch a few rays and a Long Island Iced Tea once in a while. 

They're on vacation during the traditional vacation time.  Plenty of people go on two week vacations in the middle of summer, they just don't have their SIOP officer with them.

Sheilbh

I don't mind them going on holiday.

But I think Cameron should probably recall Parliament and head back to London for the day. The military are now supporting the Americans in Iraq and that is, like a terrorist attack, one of the times when I think the PM should say something even if it is interrupting his holiday.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Never.  We need a President like Jimmy Carter again... except a non-shitty version would be great. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Pretty sure I heard on the news the other day that Putin is on vacation as well.

Phillip V

Let the leader decide.

CountDeMoney

Christ, had to delete all those posts.  Sleep it off, Siegy.  Goddamn.

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 09:21:08 PM
Christ, had to delete all those posts.  Sleep it off, Siegy.  Goddamn.
I don now what I said.
What did I say?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Off season, to get good deals and save the taxpayers money.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Never, they should be worked until they have mental breakdowns which they mitigate with anti-depressants or benzadrine to make sure they can't think straight when dealing with significant issues.

Politicians are like a grognard's cardboard counters, if they aren't at the front they are being wasted.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 12, 2014, 02:07:09 AM
Never, they should be worked until they have mental breakdowns which they mitigate with anti-depressants or benzadrine to make sure they can't think straight when dealing with significant issues.

Politicians are like a grognard's cardboard counters, if they aren't at the front they are being wasted.

That's kinda what happened to Nixon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2014, 02:37:02 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 12, 2014, 02:07:09 AM

That's kinda what happened to Nixon.

And Anthony Eden and Kjell Magne Bondevik.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

About 32 weeks a year of holiday/other work would seem appropriate.

Government ministers might need to work longer hours of course.