Getting Crap Past the Radar - in G rated movies

Started by Malthus, August 11, 2014, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:16:17 PM
Actually, this reminds me that for the script I'm writing I have already surpassed the "fuck" quota I'm allowed in order to get a PG-13 rating, and thus I need an alternative to "For Fuck's Sake" that doesn't sound ridiculous. Any advice?
"For Frack's sake" ? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Some suitable alternatives to Our Lord's Name In Vain:
Cheese and crackers!  Jiminy Cricket!  Peas and carrots!

Or fahdiz's fave-rave profanity, "H E double hockey sticks!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2014, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
EDIT: Unless I'm reading you wrong and you mean that AMC censored it, not that the film itself avoided the word.
that.

AMC and other american channels often censor such words as shit and fuck.  On some movies, you end up with lots of beeps.

Yeah, I was aware that yank channels do that, but AMC is cable; I thought cable TV was excluded from FCC profanity regulations...  :unsure:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:59:48 PM
Yeah, I was aware that yank channels do that, but AMC is cable; I thought cable TV was excluded from FCC profanity regulations...  :unsure:

General cable networks, no.  "Premium" channels (HBO, Starz, etc.) that carry their own subscriptions, yes.  Also, a few channels (mostly Comedy Central does this) basically pay a tithe to the FCC in exchange for a limited window of coarse language being transmitted without the per-utterance fine that it usually carries.
Experience bij!

derspiess

I thought all cable networks were technically free from FCC profanity regulation, but self-censored due to fears of regulation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 02:32:14 PM
I thought all cable networks were technically free from FCC profanity regulation, but self-censored due to fears of regulation.
I thought so too.  Very rarely there have been basic cable shows with boobies shown, and apparently without any fines.  Foreign channels probably count as basic cable too, and I know that at least Russian channels are pretty liberal with nudity.

CountDeMoney

Depends on the time of day as well.  GoodFellas at 4pm on a Sunday is a bit different than Breaking Bad at 10pm.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 01:16:17 PM
Actually, this reminds me that for the script I'm writing I have already surpassed the "fuck" quota I'm allowed in order to get a PG-13 rating, and thus I need an alternative to "For Fuck's Sake" that doesn't sound ridiculous. Any advice?

I quite like "Good Grief", some of us Englishmen still use it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 11, 2014, 02:04:01 PM

General cable networks, no.  "Premium" channels (HBO, Starz, etc.) that carry their own subscriptions, yes.  Also, a few channels (mostly Comedy Central does this) basically pay a tithe to the FCC in exchange for a limited window of coarse language being transmitted without the per-utterance fine that it usually carries.

Yeah, premium channels don't rely on advertising dollars like other broadcast channels.  HBO doesn't have to worry about Papa John's or Hobby Lobby calling them up and bitching about content they're paying a lot of money to advertise during a particular hour.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2014, 02:39:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 02:32:14 PM
I thought so too.  Very rarely there have been basic cable shows with boobies shown, and apparently without any fines.  Foreign channels probably count as basic cable too, and I know that at least Russian channels are pretty liberal with nudity.

The whole thing is self-regulated in Spain - no boobs or very graphic violence (unless it's the news!) before 10 pm. We certainly don't censor or bleep films for TV, though.

The Brain

I don't know any details about the rules (self-imposed or otherwise) that govern TV in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

derspiess

I'm not a huge fan of the FCC's profanity thing and would like to see it more self-regulated across the board, but I will say that the Seven Words (is it still seven?) restriction has spawned some creative language to subvert the system, e.g. Beavis & Butthead, South Park, Seinfeld.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall