Getting Crap Past the Radar - in G rated movies

Started by Malthus, August 11, 2014, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Yeah and Auschwitz spawned some creative survival techniques. So it's all for the best, right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 12:39:26 PM
I see a lot of references to outrage in this thread, but no actual outrage by anyone.
Chill out.  Nobody is trying to say you're outraged.  No need for your brand of passive-aggressiveness here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 12:35:05 PM
Meh, it's all symptomatic of the peculiar US puritanism when it comes to movies, always has been, always will be.  Even these days.  Murder, violence and gore is OK, but titties and bad language?  ZOMG TEH CHILDREN

Shit, I was watching GoodFellas yesterday on AMC during the day.  They showed Tommy's execution in all its bullet-through-the-back-of-the-head glory, but consistently censored the word "shit".  So typical.

I am sure I was watching Conan the Barbarian by age 10.  And an assortment of other innappropriate sword & sorcery films.

Hell, most of the fantasy/sci-fi books I would read had even more graphic content (violence and sexual) and far less parental controls/advisories.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2014, 03:36:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 12:35:05 PM
Meh, it's all symptomatic of the peculiar US puritanism when it comes to movies, always has been, always will be.  Even these days.  Murder, violence and gore is OK, but titties and bad language?  ZOMG TEH CHILDREN

Shit, I was watching GoodFellas yesterday on AMC during the day.  They showed Tommy's execution in all its bullet-through-the-back-of-the-head glory, but consistently censored the word "shit".  So typical.

I am sure I was watching Conan the Barbarian by age 10.  And an assortment of other innappropriate sword & sorcery films.

Hell, most of the fantasy/sci-fi books I would read had even more graphic content (violence and sexual) and far less parental controls/advisories.

Yeah, to my lasting shame I read the Gor books when I was 14-15.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2014, 03:35:27 PM
I see a lot of references to outrage in this thread, but no actual outrage by anyone.
Chill out.  Nobody is trying to say you're outraged.  No need for your brand of passive-aggressiveness here.

I'm not claiming anyone is trying to say I'm outraged. I'm just pointing out the fact that all of the references are to "outrage" no-one has actually shown is expressed by anyone.

You are acting as if this "outrage" is an established fact.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 03:53:09 PM

I'm not claiming anyone is trying to say I'm outraged. I'm just pointing out the fact that all of the references are to "outrage" no-one has actually shown is expressed by anyone.

I for one am Outraged by the lack of outrage over the outraged shown towards the lack of outrage.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 03:57:05 PM

I for one am Outraged by the lack of outrage over the outraged shown towards the lack of outrage.

I am outraged that you lost track of your grammar in composing that sentence.  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

You know, granted they were direct follow-ons, but The Little Mermaid is basically a movie about a 16 year old's quest to fuck, Beauty and the Beast is baby's first dominance-submission story, and Aladdin has barely-veiled rape threats.  The Lion King and, lo these decades later, Frozen only have attempted dynastic murder, which isn't as outre, I suppose.  But that first wave of Renaissance films had some pretty severe adult content with the serial numbers just barely filed off.  Especially B+B, the child sex abuse victim's favorite Disney film according to my sample size of two.

Oh, and Rescuers Down Under features Bob Newhart killing Patton accidentally-on-purpose and a lot of sexual tension between that Crocodile Dundee rat and Ms. Bianca one one hand and Bernard's sexual frustration and perceived inadequacies on the other.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

You left out Fantasia as basically just one big acid trip.

Ideologue

Golden Age Disney movies are just all fucked up.  They actually were more-or-less intended for adults.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2014, 04:03:23 PM
You know, granted they were direct follow-ons, but The Little Mermaid is basically a movie about a 16 year old's quest to fuck, Beauty and the Beast is baby's first dominance-submission story, and Aladdin has barely-veiled rape threats.  The Lion King and, lo these decades later, Frozen only have attempted dynastic murder, which isn't as outre, I suppose.  But that first wave of Renaissance films had some pretty severe adult content with the serial numbers just barely filed off.  Especially B+B, the child sex abuse victim's favorite Disney film according to my sample size of two.

Oh, and Rescuers Down Under features Bob Newhart killing Patton accidentally-on-purpose and a lot of sexual tension between that Crocodile Dundee rat and Ms. Bianca one one hand and Bernard's sexual frustration and perceived inadequacies on the other.

When correctly viewed
Everything is lewd
I could tell you things about Peter Pan
Or the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man.

:P
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grinning_Colossus

Lion King featured a successful dynastic murder and 10 years of fascism.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2014, 04:03:23 PM

I think that most Disney movies featuring romance are suseptible to such comments ... but there is I would contend a significant difference between that and the scene I linked in the OP.  ;) It's a trifle more ... direct.

Neil

But isn't that my point?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.