Getting Crap Past the Radar - in G rated movies

Started by Malthus, August 11, 2014, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My kid wanted to see a movie and I did not have any lined up, so I rented "The Great Mouse Detective" from On Demand.

It's a Disney film, a nice little Sherlock Holmes thing with mice, G rated. We were watching it when this one scene came on that caused me to do a rather large double-take.

The characters go into a seedy bar, disguised as low-life sailors. The bar has live entertainment. The patrons jeer and throw tomatoes (and knives!) at the acts, until this demure female mouse singer comes on and calms them down ... then WTF? Does a ... rather suggestive ... burlesque act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2IctxaCPqw

"It's that awkward moment when you are watching a Disney movie with your kid, and the mouse starts stripping ..."  :lol:

How they got this past whoever hands out the ratings I have no idea ... Of course the kid didn't notice, but my wife and I were definitely chuckling about it.

Anyone else got some examples of this?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

In the US that movie is Rated R+

Ontario censor(rating) board doesn't censor much! As Liberal as the Quebec one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I liked it in Rodger Rabbit when Donald supposedly calls Daffy a nigger.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Snow White has some dark stuff in it that would never make it into kids movies these days.  Like the evil queen telling her henchman to murder Snow White and bring her heart back in a box.  He couldn't do it, so he brought back a pig's heart (OMG animal cruelty).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 09:15:48 AM
Snow White has some dark stuff in it that would never make it into kids movies these days.  Like the evil queen telling her henchman to murder Snow White and bring her heart back in a box.  He couldn't do it, so he brought back a pig's heart (OMG animal cruelty).
The version with Groundskeeper Willy was a lot milder.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I loved the Great Mouse Detective when I was a kid.

At any rate, it was a different time back then.  People were less obsessed with protecting children from reality back then, and the 24-hour news cycle and the internet hadn't yet created the perpetual outrage machine.  It's also important to note that the Disney animated musicals weren't the juggernauts that they became after The Little Mermaid, and that Disney wasn't the slick megacorporation we're used to today.  The movie was considered a modest success making 20-odd million dollars, so expectations were lower.  And the movie was authorized and under production in a time when Disney was essentially still run by Disney's son-in-law.  The clean, polished corporate suits would spend the next decade eliminating that sort of thing from the company.

I think that a lot of children's movies have little jokes for the adults, but you'll probably never see another sequence like that in a new film.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2014, 09:31:31 AM

At any rate, it was a different time back then.  People were less obsessed with protecting children from reality back then, and the 24-hour news cycle and the internet hadn't yet created the perpetual outrage machine.  It's also important to note that the Disney animated musicals weren't the juggernauts that they became after The Little Mermaid, and that Disney wasn't the slick megacorporation we're used to today.  The movie was considered a modest success making 20-odd million dollars, so expectations were lower.  And the movie was authorized and under production in a time when Disney was essentially still run by Disney's son-in-law.  The clean, polished corporate suits would spend the next decade eliminating that sort of thing from the company.

I think that a lot of children's movies have little jokes for the adults, but you'll probably never see another sequence like that in a new film.

Yeah, I was going to say Malthus' "large double take" didnt register at all back in the day.  One more indication this generation of kids are being raised in sterile enviornment.  They cant go out on their own, they cant play unless it has been prearranged by adults and they cant see anything that would trouble them (until they get to the privacy of their rooms and log onto the internet themselves....).

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 11, 2014, 09:52:03 AM

Yeah, I was going to say Malthus' "large double take" didnt register at all back in the day.  One more indication this generation of kids are being raised in sterile enviornment.  They cant go out on their own, they cant play unless it has been prearranged by adults and they cant see anything that would trouble them (until they get to the privacy of their rooms and log onto the internet themselves....).

Don't agree - when the movie came out in 1986, I was already an adut; and though I didn't see it until now, I'd have found it just as hilarious then as now.

Also, kid's animation on TV can get downright bizzare these days (Adventure Time, anyone?). It is mostly the juxtaposition of Disney movie - with a stripping mouse - that creates the doubletake. Bugs Bunny did stuff like that all the time, but in Disney?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I loved that movie.  The villain was just so very very evil. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2014, 09:59:16 AM
I loved that movie.  The villain was just so very very evil.

Voice by ... Vincent Price!  :)

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 09:58:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 11, 2014, 09:52:03 AM

Don't agree - when the movie came out in 1986, I was already an adut; and though I didn't see it until now, I'd have found it just as hilarious then as now.

Also, kid's animation on TV can get downright bizzare these days (Adventure Time, anyone?). It is mostly the juxtaposition of Disney movie - with a stripping mouse - that creates the doubletake. Bugs Bunny did stuff like that all the time, but in Disney?
But that's the whole point.  Disney wasn't 'Disney' yet.  The sterile megacorp hadn't yet been constructed, and the culture war hadn't reached the point where people would fight and die over that scene.

I remember seeing that movie in the theatre as a boy, and not finding it troublesome or unusual.  It was a bad-guy bar, so why wouldn't there be slightly-clad women dancing around?  After all, Jabba's palace was three years earlier, so it's not like it was a surprise to a child of the 80s that evil places were full of dancing girls.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.