BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on July 18, 2014, 08:26:50 AM
Who sent the black boxes to Russia in the first place?

I believe it was the pro-Russian militants in Ukraine who sent them, since they had control over the area where the crash occurred and were pictured surveying their damage.

I'm almost surprised they didn't hide or destroy the black box and claim they couldn't find it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Hansmeister on July 18, 2014, 06:54:09 AM
Apparently nothing. Just as when anything else happens in the world.  He has nothing to do and nothing to say.

Isn't that refreshing. An American president who lets the world sort their shit without him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2014, 08:42:42 AM
Apparently nothing. Just as when anything else happens in the world.  He has nothing to do and nothing to say.

Isn't that refreshing. An American president who lets the world sort their shit without him.

:lmfao:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2014, 08:53:18 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2014, 08:42:42 AM

:lmfao:

Yes.  By all means, world, proceed without us.  We're tired and broke.  Just don't come crying to us when "someone needs to do something".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Looks like flights are now avoiding Ukraine, though I'd still be nervous if my flight path skirted the eastern border with Russia.

Also I like the shaded oval around Ukraine, as if the relative lack of plane icons weren't enough clue to where it is.

Valmy

It looks like they are avoiding Finland and Norway as well.  I guess they just use Reindeer taxis to get around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

They seem to be avoid israel and syria too, and in iraq, they all seem to follow one narrow corridor.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2014, 09:11:54 AM
It looks like they are avoiding Finland and Norway as well.  I guess they just use Reindeer taxis to get around.

Re Airtravel in norway. If that is a snapshot on the hour there will be few if any aircraft airborn in norway, 5 minutes into the hour at least 20. The flights between Oslo, Trondheim, Stavanger, Bergen, Kristiansand and Aalesund all are 55 minutes or less. Usually the ones too and from Oslo take off on the hour every hour.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2014, 06:02:24 AM
Wouldn't the black box just show that there was no technical issue before the aircraft was hit by a missle?

If it was sent to Moscow, we can expect it to produce a signed confession in a couple of days.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2014, 09:24:38 AM
They seem to be avoid israel and syria too, and in iraq, they all seem to follow one narrow corridor.

In Iraq, there's not really much to fly to outside that corridor, at least as far a population centers go.

Razgovory

Then again, given his abysmal track records, it is probably for the best that he has given up on the job.

It wasn't an American plane and no Americans were killed.  I can't really imagine what he has to say.  This seems like a "Btw, we hate Obama, he's shiftless and feckless.  Don't forget!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2014, 02:20:49 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2014, 10:13:22 PM
I'm curious how Europe will react to this.  After all, most of the dead of Western Europeans.
What would be an appropriate response in your opinion?

A harder line against Russia, more sanctions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2014, 09:30:29 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2014, 06:02:24 AM
Wouldn't the black box just show that there was no technical issue before the aircraft was hit by a missle?

If it was sent to Moscow, we can expect it to produce a signed confession in a couple of days.  ;)

First recorded case of black boxes dying from Polonium-210.

Malthus

How is this for chutzpah? Putin blames Ukraine because the plane went down in Ukrainian terrory - this, while he's arming and supporting the rebels who most likely shot it down, and whose goal is to dispute Ukrainian control over that same territory!

Quote"And without doubt the government of the territory on which it happened bears responsibility for this frightening tragedy," he said, adding that he had urged the Russian authorities to do everything possible to help with the investigation into the incident.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/17/putin-ukraine-malaysia_n_5597094.html

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius