DNA evidence of pre-Columbian contact between Polynesia and the Americas

Started by Caliga, July 09, 2020, 09:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I hope this is not that surprising to people.  After all dudes from Borneo sailed to Madagascar and settled it in 250 AD or earlier. :hmm:

Indigenous Americans had contact with Polynesians 800 years ago, DNA study confirms

By Nectar Gan, CNN

Updated 6:03 AM ET, Thu July 9, 2020

(CNN)Indigenous Americans and Polynesians crossed thousands of miles of open ocean and made contact with each other as early as 1200 A.D., centuries before the arrival of Europeans, a new study has found.

Archeologists have long believed the two regions made early contact, pointing to the early, widespread cultivation of a South American plant in Polynesia, a collection of more than 1,000 islands scattered over the Pacific Ocean.

The results of a genomic study now confirmed they did.

According to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature, researchers found "conclusive evidence" for the early encounter between the two groups, after analyzing the DNA of more than 800 individuals from 17 Polynesian islands and 15 indigenous American groups on the Pacific coast.

The researchers were looking for signs that prehistoric Polynesians and Indigenous Americans had children together, which would leave a clear genetic signature in their offspring -- called an admixture.

What they found was that people from several eastern Polynesian islands, including Rapa Nui -- also known as Easter Island -- have genetic traces in their DNA linked to indigenous South Americans. The genetic signatures showed a strong connection to the Zenu, an indigenous group from Colombia.

Researchers then traced the timing of their encounter by analyzing the length of the indigenous American genomic segments, and decided the initial admixture took place in the eastern islands of Polynesia around 1150-1230 A.D.

But in Rapa Nui, that admixture was dated much later to around 1380 A.D., despite the island being the closest to South America.
"Our analyses suggest strongly that a single contact event occurred in eastern Polynesia, before the settlement of Rapa Nui, between Polynesian individuals and a Native American group most closely related to the indigenous inhabitants of present-day Colombia," the study said.

How did they get there?
But what the study couldn't confirm is how exactly that encounter unfolded: Did the Polynesians voyage to South America and mix with the local people there, or did South Americans drift thousands of miles to the Pacific?

The Polynesians are known as masters of oceanic exploration for their long voyages across the Pacific Ocean. Traveling in double-hulled canoes and guided by the stars, they have sailed as far as the Hawaiian Islands and Easter Island in the east, and New Zealand in the south, for settlement.

But some have also argued that indigenous Americans were also able to make the journey to Polynesia, with favorable weather conditions and currents. In 1947, Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl famously sailed on a simple wooden raft from the coast of Peru to Polynesia, in order to prove his theory that people from South America could have colonized Polynesia.

The study is the latest evidence of prehistoric contact between indigenous Americans and Polynesians. Previously, scientists have found clues to their early convergence in the sweet potato, a plant that originated in South America but was grown and eaten thousands of miles away all over Polynesia, centuries before Europeans arrived in the Pacific.

Research published in 2013 suggested that the sweet potato was first introduced to Polynesia between 1000 and 1100 A.D., most likely by Polynesian voyagers who reached the western coast of South America and brought back the crop, before spreading it to other Pacific islands.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Strange that of all the nice stuff in the Americas it would be the sweet potato they'd take with them.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2020, 09:19:06 AM
Strange that of all the nice stuff in the Americas it would be the sweet potato they'd take with them.
:huh:  Sweet potatoes are awesome. :sleep:

grumbler

Strange that you would think that the sweet potato was all they took with them, rather than it being the crop that prospered in the new environment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Sweet potatoes have a very high yield per acre; pretty important for a people with limited land space :

https://slate.com/technology/2012/06/food-security-what-crops-will-feed-the-world-if-we-run-out-of-farmland.html#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20FAO%2C%20sweet,to%20maximize%20calories%20per%20acre.

"According to the FAO, sweet potatoes top the list, yielding 70,000 calories per hectare per day, nearly twice as much as wheat—and far more than that if you use one of several fast-maturing varieties. Jeavons also recommends potatoes, leeks, and parsnips for those looking to maximize calories per acre. (Cassava, a crucial subsistence crop in many developing countries, is less efficient because it takes longer to grow.) In the ideal subsistence farm, Jeavons says, roots and tubers would account for 30 percent of all the land cultivated for food."

Caliga

Yeah.  Sweet potatoes are (or at least were) a huge crop in southern China for the same reason.

viper37

that's how we know these explorers were exclusively men.  Had there been women, they would have brought back the chocolate first.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Interesting article but I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given the distances traveled by Polynesians to settle Pacific islands. I recently read a story of an American Indian, I think of the Blackfoot tribe, who was surprised to find out that he had Pacific Islander DNA when he did one of the ancestry tests. Some researchers surmised that his tribe may have landed in South America and over many generations migrated north to western North America. Researchers also figured that Polynesians came to the Americas prior to people who crossed the Bering Sea land mass.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on July 10, 2020, 08:37:14 PM
Interesting article but I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given the distances traveled by Polynesians to settle Pacific islands. I recently read a story of an American Indian, I think of the Blackfoot tribe, who was surprised to find out that he had Pacific Islander DNA when he did one of the ancestry tests. Some researchers surmised that his tribe may have landed in South America and over many generations migrated north to western North America. Researchers also figured that Polynesians came to the Americas prior to people who crossed the Bering Sea land mass.

I fairly certain Polynesians didn't come to the Americas during the Ice Age.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I mentioned this in the Archaeology thread.

Did they show sweet potatoes in Moana?  :hmm:

I've seen it a ton of times and I don't recall so.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point