BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 06:57:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
I think it unequivocally is a terrible tragedy. When 200 or so folks are killed on a commercial airliner it is a tragedy - unless it turns out that it was 200 or so terrorists.

Or Hobby Lobby owners :angry:

I mean I didn't know I needed to post an exhaustive list. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 06:59:13 PM

Yeah, but we're all still reeling from that monumentally disastrous decision by the Five White Men*.  You should have mentioned them before terrorists.

*credit to Harry Reid
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2014, 05:38:09 PM
So what's the current state of knowledge about what civilian airliners were doing flying over this region/war zone?

I've seen that there were two existing advisory notices posted to airlines about what they should do about the airspace/region. To the layman the wording is opaque and has plenty of wriggle room.

Was it just left to airlines to 'balance' passenger safety vs 'shareholder value' re fuel/turnaround cost ?

I think Malaysia Airlines is majority owned by the government of Malaysia, if that would impact the "shareholder value" portion of the analysis at all.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

On the Russian forum, there seem to be two main theories developing:

1)  Ukrainians shot down the plane to create outrage against the rebels, and/or create pretext for US to intervene like it so desperately wants to.
2)  Ukrainians are responsible for the crash, because by international law they're responsible for everything that happens on their territory.  Since they don't recognize Donetsk Republic, the plane was shot down over Ukrainian territory, and Ukraine is responsible for everything that happens on Ukrainian territory.

Reading between the lines, it seems like it's clear even to zombified Russian brains that the pro-Russian rebels fired that missile.

DGuller

There is a recording of conversations between rebels by Ukrainian KGB, as they go up to the crash site.  It doesn't really leave much to interpretation.  Of course, Russians are screaming "FAKE!".

Razgovory

I'm curious how Europe will react to this.  After all, most of the dead of Western Europeans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2014, 10:13:22 PM
I'm curious how Europe will react to this.  After all, most of the dead of Western Europeans.

I'm sure it will be as conciliatory as possible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I think normally there might be some outrage, but it will be largely muted by the lingering shock from learning that the US might spy on them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Austrian news says that the "defense minister" of the rebels posted yesterday afternoon online that they just shot down an AN-26, with a photo of a smoke plume that looks similar to the one in first press reports.

It seems that this announcement has disappeared now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hansmeister

I'm sure our Dear Leader will eventually get around to doing something once he runs out of fund raisers to attend, late night celebrity parties at the White House, and holes at the golf course.  Eventually he will remember he has a day job, right?

garbon

So about a third of the passengers killed were on their way to an AIDS conference.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 06:57:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
I think it unequivocally is a terrible tragedy. When 200 or so folks are killed on a commercial airliner it is a tragedy - unless it turns out that it was 200 or so terrorists.

Or Hobby Lobby owners :angry:

200 people who watch reality tv and don't clean up after their dogs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

What would be an appropriate response in your opinion?

Josquius

This really can't be good for Malaysian airlines business. I know I don't ever fancy getting in a cursed plane.
██████
██████
██████